Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Finished Work (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Firefly (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26209)

errethakbe 12-05-2007 05:56 AM

Firefly

1 Attachment(s)
Well, haven't done any modeling in a while due to massive amounts of work and school...but i've got some free time now, and want to get some good stuff for my portfolio...

here's my rendition of the ship based off the firefly. Followed the 3d palace max tutorial to an extent, but didnt' like the way he did some things, so it's got some originality to it as well...tell me what you think.

errethakbe 12-05-2007 05:57 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Top View

errethakbe 12-05-2007 05:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Side View

tiddles 12-05-2007 10:22 AM

Awesome effort m8 :beer:

I love the show and I love this model. Be real cool to get some textures on this bad boy!

KUTGW

Dave.

happymat27 12-05-2007 02:54 PM

Lovely job there errethakbe,

I love the show too and made my own attempt at modelling serenity a while back, I got sidetracked by university before I could finish it properly.......

Link to serenity thread.

Keep at it,

Mat.

Perfecto 12-05-2007 06:35 PM

Is it acceptable to use a model you did following a tutorial for a portfolio. I just would have thought that something original would be more what professionals are looking for. I'm still somewhat of a newbie so this is just a question (not advice).

errethakbe 12-05-2007 06:51 PM

yeah, original models are important for a portfolio...but i don't see why it would hurt to put in some models based on tutorials...i mean, you did model it, it's not like you're putting in a model that someone else made and taking credit. so that's the way i see it...i modeled it, it looks cool, why not put it in my portfolio? :)

oh, and this isn't for a professional portfolio...I'm nowhere near where i can get a job with my current skills. This is more personal, and also for school admission type stuff (looking at some art schools that focus on visual effects type programs)
but yeah, for a portfolio that you're trying to get a job with, I'd definitely put original art into it, and few to none tutorial projects.

----

Happy, i checked out your serenity thread, and the ship looks pretty good, though a bit blocky. I like the detail that you have on it. Are you ever gonna finish it? or is this one of those infamous projects (of which i have many) that never see the light of day?

No clue if I'm gonna texture it...if i do, it will probably be mostly procedural, because there is sooooooo much on this ship, and i just don't know if I'd have the patience to go through 500 bazillion polys!! :p

Rhetoric Camel 12-05-2007 09:32 PM

looks awsome, no idea what it's from but from what I see it looks good. Keep up the good work!

Perfecto 13-05-2007 02:04 AM

Thanks errethakbe, and your model looks good so far. I just realized you're using the PLE version. The fact that your model looks as good as it does is even more impressive to me. I used the PLE version for a few days and got too annoyed with the watermark as it made it really hard for me to visualize. You seem to be doing very good with it though. Be nice if the watermark was smaller. I also didn't like the fact that you can't open PLE version files with the regular version software. Anyway, I look foward to seeing your model when it's finished.

Edit: hard to visualize when modeling not when viewing your render. I think your renders are fine. Didn't want any confusion there (hehe).

errethakbe 13-05-2007 10:44 PM

yeah, the watermark is annoying...if you lighten up the background though, it makes it disappear a lot and it's easier to model.
i had the use of full version of maya while in school, but no longer...i want to get the student version cuz i'm not rich :p

does the student version have a watermark? i know it's not for commercial use, but i'm wondering if it's similar to the houdini apprentice where there's just a tiny watermark at the bottom?

happymat27 14-05-2007 03:39 AM

Hey there,

there are no restrictions or watermarks on the student version, it is essentially the commercial version that you are trusted not to use for cash profit.

Mat.

Perfecto 14-05-2007 03:20 PM

I have the student version and happymat27 is correct.

You just have to decided whether you want "Complete" or "Unlimited" version. The "Unlimited" version comes with fluid, nCloth, and hair but "Complete" does not. I'm not sure what other dfferences there are.

I never thought about lightening up the background, that was brilliant.

errethakbe 14-05-2007 03:22 PM

oh, cool! will have to save some money and buy it soon as i can! thanks for the info :)

oh, any particular place that's good to buy from? i've got a few sites, but if there's one that others have used, i'll feel better about ordering