Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Modeling (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Spitfire - Polygon UV Mapping Help (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16460)

BMS 24-04-2005 12:35 AM

Spitfire - Polygon UV Mapping Help

I'm not sure why the following is happening when I smooth my mesh:

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~bmsweb/3D/UVIssue.jpg
When I Smooth my Poly mesh the above happens and I'm not sure why?

And below is what the UV Map looks like with a Subdivison of 2
http://members.ozemail.com.au/~bmsweb/3D/UVIssue2.jpg

Any Ideas?

Thanks

mhcannon 26-04-2005 08:36 AM

Paul,
Two quick general tips and then I'll try to explain this.
1. Don't add geometry after you UV map
2. Don't texture map until the model is done, this includes smoothing.

Okay, those tips should help you avoid what happened here. When you smoothed, you added geometry. Since the mesh has varying spans that will be smoothed, the result will be texture distortion since the added geometry give added UVs, this uneven addition of geometry makes the texture get "squished" or "stretched" between the UVs. Thing in terms of resolution, if a 1"x1" at 72dpi in stretched to 2"x1" without changing the dpi then you'd get rectangular pixels. This is basically what is causing the bullseye to get squished. As for the squilly bits, that is due to the way maya tried to insert the new UVs. You can select the ziz-zag pattern of UVs and scale them to zero in what appears to be the Y axis. You might also be able to move them in Y to correct the distortion.

Or.. you could remove the texture, remap then reapply the texture. Your call.

Other than this little hiccup, I'd say it's coming along nicely. maybe just lower the specularity a tad.

BMS 26-04-2005 11:12 AM

Thanks Michael,

You've given me a lot to think about. So after modelling I should smooth out and then create the UV map, is this correct?

I'm ok as I've saved my progress in different files so I can revert back to any stage of my modelling or texturing. I'm just trying to understand this process better.

Thanks Again for your help Michael

Regards
Paul

Anm8or 26-04-2005 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by BMS
Thanks Michael,

You've given me a lot to think about. So after modelling I should smooth out and then create the UV map, is this correct?

I'm ok as I've saved my progress in different files so I can revert back to any stage of my modelling or texturing. I'm just trying to understand this process better.

Thanks Again for your help Michael

Regards
Paul

i think he means that once you have made the UV map DONOT add more geometry.

making the UV map after you smooth i think would be very difficult??? so once you are certain the model is complete, make the UV map and then smooth. but whatever you do, once the UV map is made DONOT change the geometry of the model.

Razor Blade 28-04-2005 07:46 PM

you're probably missing something when you smooth or not compensating for something...

you can poly smooth the geometry after you lay out your UVs, you just have to adjust the UVs to compensate as well, but shouldn't be by much...

Usually the texture distortion happens near corners of the geometry so you have to be careful...

one thing you really need to check for when you smooth your polys and have a texture on it is make sure smooth UVs is checked

BMS 28-04-2005 08:49 PM

Its a strange problem and I'm not sure what the cause is, but what I've done is gone to a version before smoothing. What I've found is I can smooth out the model, but I can't change the subdivision back to 0 then back to 2 again as this seems to also cause the problem.

So I'm going to finish it off without any smoothing and then smooth at the end. I can't even smooth and then undo without causing problems.

Thanks for the Info

AlphaFlyte 28-04-2005 09:13 PM

Listen to mhcannon on this.

BMS 28-04-2005 09:30 PM

Thanks AlphaFlyte,

Yes, I am going down the path that Michael suggested. His post was every helpful and informative to a Texture Newbie like me.

Cheers
Paul

mhcannon 28-04-2005 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by BMS
...You've given me a lot to think about. So after modelling I should smooth out and then create the UV map, is this correct?
Paul, I think, at least for future projects, that would be best. I think you'll find the mapping results to more predicatable and thus less in need of tweaking if you wait till you're done with all topology edit. Smoothing adds geometry, so I do recommend that you map after you smooth. But that's just me. An alternative would be to dup the unsmoothed model mapped it, then transfer the UV map to the smoothed version. Like most processes in Maya there are several different methods. I'm not saying I'm right or that you have to do it this way.

BMS 29-04-2005 01:41 AM

I didn't know you could transfer a UV map . . wow. May is full of surprizes! I think the fact I ran into this problem has been helpful, in the sense I have learnt a lot from the experience.

Man sooooo much to learn! I think my brain is about to explode :)

Thanks
Paul