Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   How many unfinished models do you have ? (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15473)

jsprogg 18-02-2005 01:53 PM

How many unfinished models do you have ?

It occured to me today that i have'nt posted work on the finished work board, the reason being is that i have never actually finshed a model in the time I have been modeling ..lol
i know some have said there comes a time when you have to say the model is done ,even if you are not entirely happy with it.

For the record i have 18 unfinished currently.

So Guys and Gals How many unfinished models do you have ?

ckyuk 18-02-2005 03:18 PM

Hundreds, and i'm not exaggerating. I would go and count them for you but this post would be off the board by the time i finished.

wchamlet 18-02-2005 03:33 PM

I'd say I have hundreds too. Mostly pieces of stuff, not hundreds of entire characters. Actually when I'm working on something I can go through 40-50 different saves/ideas. Looking back I can really see my improvement over the past two years. So I guess it's good to keep all those things.

dragonfx 18-02-2005 04:21 PM

with maya o photoshop i never say "it is finished" i say "all the work i wished or had to put on it its done" theres always something to redo/polish...

jsprogg 18-02-2005 06:20 PM

you guys beat me by miles ..lol
I hope hundreds is not a figure I get to ,by 18 i mean 18 seperate model ideas of course I have many variations on the same model unfinished ..hehe

I also find that getting motivation to go back to a model i started and haven't touched for 6 months hard.

wchamlet 18-02-2005 07:05 PM

You will probably end up with that many, even if you don't want to. It definitely wasn't a goal I started out to do. Don't think of it as a hindrance. It's more the nature of how this stuff goes. You make something, get bored with it, and start something else.

The most things I have saved is heads. I've got a bunch of heads. The next I guess is trees. I don't know why I'd have that many trees. But I do. LOL

As far as completed characters go, I've probably completed about 20. But I still wouldn't really classify them as complete, because I do go back from time to time to update a model. I'm not talking about textures, animations, etc... That's a whole other topic, and one I feel is very much neglected by most 3D artists. It's rare to see "accurate" textures IMO.

Only advice I have is to keep at it. Don't worry about how many incomplete models you got. :D

Jay 20-02-2005 02:18 PM

Cool thread. I actually have zero finished models.

The reason being, I have to finish one in order to see the faults and improve for the next time I do something similar. ie; faces, I always produce a better mesh that the previous because Ive learnt not what to do

_J

Reimo005 20-02-2005 02:59 PM

Jes, I also havn't really finished any models so it would be really finished. I have made finished models.

Kurt 20-02-2005 03:33 PM

All my models are complete it never to much free time to texture them and set them up in a enviroment.

twisteddragon33 22-02-2005 08:55 PM

Counting only seperate projects i have 532 projects into 6 groups of projects: Guns, Melee, Vehicules, Charactors, Robots, Other.

Most are in melee, Robots and other.

jsprogg 23-02-2005 01:46 PM

Twisted are all those 532 projects unfinished ?

I think we need to start an incentive thread ..lol
where you pick an unfished model and finish it :)

twisteddragon33 23-02-2005 08:22 PM

ive only finished one model that came out how i expected it to. And did all i wanted to do with it(didnt plan to animate it or texture it).

vladimirjp 23-02-2005 08:55 PM

100 Billion MODELS!!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2.../evilpinky.jpg

Turbo Dan 25-02-2005 05:55 AM

36 unfinished models
i have yet to complete one
but my first time touching maya was this past september.

mhcannon 25-02-2005 06:32 AM

what? you're supposed to finish them? oooh... :)