Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Upgrading Vista… (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28661)

14-01-2008 07:05 PM

Upgrading Vista

Hey guys,

My sister just got a laptop that's a PC and it has Vista Home Basic on it. I was looking around the different versions for it and I thought about upgrading it to Home Premium. Are there any advantages to this?

Here's the tech specs of the laptop:
Intel Celeron processor 530 (1.73 GHz)
1 GB RAM
80 GB HDD

-Jr.Who
:beer:

elephantinc 14-01-2008 07:16 PM

Theres certainly no advantages i would want
Im nit really sure but if iremember rightly microsoft tried to make the diffrences sound great when there all really practically the same

Mayaniac 14-01-2008 07:30 PM

You mean downgrading to Vista ;)

There isn't really anything extra that you could, or would want to make use of.
There all as horrible as each other :headbang:

I think the Minimum required memory for Vista (to run properly) is 2GB... at least thats what i was told.

But my Dad is running it on his Machine with only 1GB.... so should be fine.

Honestly.... I would stick with XP... at least until they Iron out all the bugs.

jsprogg 14-01-2008 08:26 PM

The best place for Vista is in the garbage can.

15-01-2008 01:26 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Mayaniac
You mean downgrading to Vista ;)
So true.

Well, now all I have to do is convince her to let me put it on.

gster123 15-01-2008 05:10 AM

I think you dont get all the fancy "fisher Price" look to it and a few bits here and there, but the overall functionality of it will be the same.

I would be a bit cautious of putting one of the higher vistas on that machine as vista eats system resources like theres no tomorrow and its not a hugely spec'ed machine.

Wait till a servie pack comes out and it might be worth going to it then!

The Architect 15-01-2008 08:40 AM

On the subject of Vista service packs, I hear that they have a beta for SP1 out.

Apparently, the 'best OS in the world' and its ultra advanced service pack requires multiple reboots and has a installation experience similar to pushing a massive boulder up a steep hill, only to have it fall back down again, with someone poking you with a sharpened stick the whole time. :lmao:

Hasn't Microsoft ever heard of Linux, where you don't have to reboot everytime you install something? ;)

15-01-2008 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by The Architect
Hasn't Microsoft ever heard of Linux, where you don't have to reboot everytime you install something? ;)
That's probably one of my most hated things about Windows. In OS X it's mostly drag and drop, and even when you have to install something, it usually doesn't require a restart.

The Architect 15-01-2008 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Jr.Who
That's probably one of my most hated things about Windows. In OS X it's mostly drag and drop, and even when you have to install something, it usually doesn't require a restart.
Its incredible that people put up with constant rebooting. In Windows, install a driver, reboot. Install a program, reboot. Change some settings, reboot. As for uninstalling things... more reboots! I wonder if Microsoft's opinion of this is: It's not an annoyance/sign of our technical deficiencies, its a feature! :)

As for drag and drop installing and uninstalling, that has got to be one of the most intuiative designs, though I personally prefer the Linux way of doing things (online software repositories + installer/manager).

15-01-2008 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by The Architect
Its incredible that people put up with constant rebooting. In Windows, install a driver, reboot. Install a program, reboot. Change some settings, reboot. As for uninstalling things... more reboots! I wonder if Microsoft's opinion of this is: It's not an annoyance/sign of our technical deficiencies, its a feature! :)
Ugh, uninstalling is a pain too! The worst part is how long it takes for them to reboot. :zzz:

The Architect 15-01-2008 11:24 AM

If installing, uninstalling is a pain, then I wonder what trying to get Windows to network is... every time you change your IP address or something, restart and wait... The change didn't work? Change something else, restart and wait.