Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Modeling (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Mesh appears to have smoothed itself in certain places. (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33640)

Starkiller 22-01-2010 04:31 PM

Mesh appears to have smoothed itself in certain places.

1 Attachment(s)
Hi there,

I'm new to this forum and website so apologies if my post is in the wrong place.

I've started modeling a human head in Maya 2010 and for some reason the polygons (which i have not smoothed) appear to be smoothed but only in certain areas. I've never come across this before. If anyone could help me i would be most grateful.

I've attached an image file to this post. The image consists of three images - a wireframe view, the polygons without the wireframe (wierd smoothing easily visible), and a render with a fractal bump map (to show how the texture distorts in certain places).

Cheers.

Dango77 22-01-2010 05:10 PM

Hi Starkiller,

Welcome to the forums!

I could be wrong, but it looks to me if you've softened the edges in that particular part of the model, not sure how you could've done that by accident.
Try reselecting the edges that are appearing smoothed, hold down shift and the right mouse button, select the menu soften/harden edges, then select harden edges.
Or under the Polygons menu set, go to Normals, then near the bottom is Harden edge.
That may do it, if not hopefully someone else will have the answer.

Starkiller 22-01-2010 05:34 PM

Thankyou for the welcoming reply Dango77.

Your answer has helped, and everything seems fine in the perspective view. However when i render the head with a texture, it still appears distorted around the face.

But hopefully you're right and someone will have the answer.

Thanks again.

stwert 22-01-2010 07:12 PM

The texture will be distorted until you unfold the UVs... I'm assuming you haven't done that yet? I suspect the texture distortion was unrelated to the smoothing in the model.

Starkiller 22-01-2010 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by stwert
The texture will be distorted until you unfold the UVs... I'm assuming you haven't done that yet? I suspect the texture distortion was unrelated to the smoothing in the model.
Thanks for your input.

I consider myself fairly good at modelling, however i have hardly any experiencing with textures. Is there anyway you could elaborate on what you mean?

Cheers.

stwert 22-01-2010 09:44 PM

UV mapping is pretty daunting process at the beginning. Caveat: I haven't really done much UV mapping, this is just the way I understand it.

The basic idea is to flatten out your mesh to a 2D space so that there is a little as possible stretching and skewing. This way you can paint a detailed 2D image, and this will wrap around your 3D model. Of course there will be seams and areas (like curved parts) where it is difficult to achieve a flat representation Think about a map of the world (Canada's bigger than it looks!). This is the challenge of UV mapping, and the reason why you have stretching in your texture.

So, look at the basic tutorial of UV mapping in maya (I think it's a cereal box or something) to get you going. I think unfolding a head mesh will be quite challenging, though necessary for a good texture. Hope that helps. Good luck!

Starkiller 22-01-2010 09:54 PM

Thanks.

I use the option "Unfold UV" and then applied a lambert with a bump map, and then rendered to see what was going on and you were right. It looks alot better, there is no stretching but there appears to be a seam around the face. But i understand your description and i think i know the process to correct this. Like you say i will follow tutorials and see where it gets me.

Again, thanks alot.