Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Work In Progress (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   My living room (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23953)

DJbLAZER 25-11-2006 03:32 AM

My living room

1 Attachment(s)
Have been modeling my living room this week, and rendered it in Maxwell. Still a lot of things missing. The renders turn out great, but maaaaan does it takes time to render indoors in Maxwell. This pic has run for 60 hours and still there are some noise.

I-Iybrid 25-11-2006 04:02 AM

Looks good so far. But damn...60 hours?!?!

starjsjswars 25-11-2006 04:54 AM

What the heck is the point to make a 60 hour img???? there no way you can use this in videos well this renderer...

DJbLAZER 25-11-2006 07:37 AM

I'm not going to do a movie so for me it doesn't matter.

starjsjswars 25-11-2006 09:48 AM

Indeed but what is the point of that renderer??

Hellspawnuk 25-11-2006 11:06 AM

I think you need to tweak the settings, no way should it take 60 hours and still have visible noise.

On another note, the scene is very good. Nice living room :p

mirek03 25-11-2006 12:32 PM

.., or take a photo. looks like one except the noise. 60 hours?? you got us all amazed; and i thought there was nothing new under the sun. you can cache the shadows (although i don't remember seeing any, cant see from the reply window) and that should save time?? or get a new CPU?? 60 hours?? my computer would have restarted by then.., you must have given your heaps.
looks great though, different strokes for different folks...

Jay 25-11-2006 07:31 PM

DJBlazer

Dude it looks good, but again (yawn) 60hrs for this is a joke, its not like you are rendering fur, hair, Ents or Gollum, some tweaks I feel, or just use MR if you want good Photorealistic renders

Good work though

Jay

DJbLAZER 25-11-2006 09:50 PM

Thanks for the comments...

actually there aren't almost any settings to tweak since Maxwell is a unbiased renderer. That's one of the good things, it's easy to use and get realistic renders without going through tons of settings. Sure it's possible to get a photorealistic render with MR, but you have to be a God of MR to get it as good as this. I think my previous MR renders sucks compared to the one I render in Maxwell.

Usually a couple of hours gives a nice render, but it depends of what you're rendering, a whole room with light to bounce around in takes much longer time apparently.

Jay 25-11-2006 09:58 PM

hey DJ

So is it similar in effect to final gather then? I mean in the way it works or is it more of a GI type renderer?

Cheers
Jay

DJbLAZER 26-11-2006 05:36 AM

I can't say I know the exact mathematical algorithms it uses. I just know that it's pretty different from most render engines

publicFunction 26-11-2006 07:15 AM

Blaz, Nice scene, but drop maxwell.

If it is so limited in setting and is taking 60+ish hours to render a simple scene, then I really don't think it worth it.

Donno if this will help tho.

Extacted from Maxwell site:

> SECTION: Rendering, Optimization
> PROBLEM: Very noisy image even after a long render time.
There are several things you can do to optimize a scene, mostly related to emitters:

- Make sure your emitting surfaces are as lowpoly as possible. Most times a single sided polygon will be sufficient.

- If possible, do not completely enclose your emitters inside a dielectric object.

- Very important: do not have very white or fully saturated materials in your scene. For example a completely white (255, 255, 255) material will take a very long time to clear and will also make the contrast in the image disappear. Also avoid completely saturated colors such as pure red (255, 0, 0). Pure white or pure saturated materials do not exist in real life so it's better to decrease the saturation a bit. For a white wall, around RGB 220 or less is sufficient.

- For interior renders where window glass reflections are necessary, use the AGS glass material for the windows instead of real glass. This will create the reflections but will not produce any caustics, thus speeding up the rendering.

Go for MR m8, its gonna give you great results

mirek03 26-11-2006 07:22 AM

it begs the question then, what video card and computer you using, without being funny, i could understand the time taken if it an older machine or something but this time is not a good advert for Maxwell (by all accounts). I think most here find it hard enough to sit through a 60 minute render much less a 60 hour one. the work is great as already mentioned many times, but i think you could be working on Maya rather than waiting nearly 3 days for a render, but, you must like it very much. Mental ray is not that hard if you get a tut, really, if i can follow it anyone can. the quality is as good i think as this, if you like render, you should be intrigued by MR.

but, onward all good men...

DJbLAZER 26-11-2006 11:09 PM

mirek03:
I have a server that I can use for rendering when doing other stuff on my real PC. AND.... maxwell supports that you can render on different computers, stop and then resume.. and then combine several renders to one.

And I know a pretty good deal about MR, but as I was saying before, I think I hardly ever have seen anyone rendered a completely realistic interior scene in MR.

I must also say that I'm far from an expert in Maxwell so you could possible cut those render times a lot.

The pic is rendered on an AMD 2200+ and 2800+ 1.5gb ram. Video card has no significance.

R@nSiD:
Thanks for those tips!

mirek03 27-11-2006 07:00 AM

makes more sense now, i think many questions answered there, yea, if you got more than one PC, one can experiment to hearts delight.

:beer: