Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Happy 4th July (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30287)

Jay 04-07-2008 07:58 AM

Happy 4th July

can I just wish our American brethren a happy 4th July!!

have a good one dudes and dudettes!!

Jay

Chirone 04-07-2008 08:40 AM

what's so special about this date? something to do with fireworks right? :confused:

Jay 04-07-2008 08:56 AM

OMFG dude that is so ignorant! its more than just fireworks, its history.....

In the United States, Independence Day, commonly known as the Fourth of July, is a federal holiday commemorating the adoption of the Declaration of Independence on July 4, 1776, declaring independence from the Kingdom of Great Britain.....

Jay

Chirone 04-07-2008 08:59 AM

haha, i was being silly Jay ;)

i know it's Independance Day

although... isn't there something special on the 24th of July? or is my hearing so bad that i stick a 2 infront of the 4?

publicFunction 04-07-2008 09:14 AM

Gratz to the US on kicking our asses ;)

Remember it only happened once, and really we let it happen ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Jay 04-07-2008 09:34 AM

Quote:

haha, i was being silly Jay
well ya never know with people sometimes, ya know

Jay

04-07-2008 04:58 PM

happy 4th of jusly guys, for me it's not a holiday but it's my nefews birthday :D

elephantinc 04-07-2008 05:19 PM

BOOOOOOO!

go the red coats!

Mayaniac 04-07-2008 06:21 PM

"..... the signing of the deceleration of Independence"???

I thought the 4th was a day we dedicated to drinking too much beer, and eating too many hot dogs, and standing out side until 1 in the morning watching fireworks with your family.... at least that what we do around here. ;)

:beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:

Happy 4th all!

jsprogg 04-07-2008 06:31 PM

As I understand it the actual signing and declaration was on the 2nd of July 1776 but a year later no one remembered until the 3rd of July so they commemorated it the next day the 4th and it has been that way since .
Happy Fourth to you guys even if it is 2 days late ..lol

Chirone 05-07-2008 07:19 AM

so the conversation was something like:

"oh you know yesterday last year we signed for our freedom from those Brits..."

"oh really? maybe we should celebrate today then?"

"what? I only just remembered today. today is a day late! we do it tomorrow!"

"sure, that makes sense!"

:beer:

jsprogg 05-07-2008 08:25 AM

Heres a link

http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/...e.fBA1FjIazJV4

i perticularly liked this bit hehe

"On July 2, 1776, Congress adopted the Declaration of Independence, signed only by Charles Thompson (the secretary of Congress) and John Hancock (the presiding officer)."

"The following year, no member of Congress thought about commemorating the adoption of the Declaration of Independence until July 3 - one day too late. So the first organized elaborate celebration of independence occurred the following day: July 4, 1777, in Philadelphia. Ships in the harbor were decked in the nation's colors. Cannons rained 13-gun salutes in honor of each state. And parades and fireworks spiced up the festivities.

Fireworks did not become staples of July 4 celebrations until after 1816, when Americans began producing their own pyrotechnics and no longer relied on expensive fireworks from across the pond.

Since 1777, the tradition of celebrating America's independence on July 4 has continued."

elephantinc 05-07-2008 12:34 PM

is it a big thing for you guys or is it not really celabrated?

ragecgi 05-07-2008 04:21 PM

Its very much like Guy Fawkes Night in the UK.
(known by some across the pond I believe as Bonfire Night, Cracker Night and even Fireworks Night)

The intention is understood by all, religious and legal national sovereignty with the signing of the Dec. of Independence, and not having to fear ones' government as well.

The level of celebration is different family to family.

Some make it a reason for a family reunion, and party hard:)
...some, sadly, ignore it altogether.

Most Americans agree, however, that getting together with your friend/loved ones/family for a cookout and finish-off the evening watching various levels of fireworks at a local park, fairground, racetrack, public area, etc. is the way to go.

Last night for example, I had the choice of going with one group of friends to the local Amusement Park to party and watch their pyro show, OR go to the local Nascar-redneck-festival and watch cars get smashed up, watch the redneck hillbilly's get all liquored up, and watch their pyro show.

I chose the latter, as the racetrack and the Amusement park are literally right next to each other.
So, every year we sit in the grandstands at the top of turn 4 and we can watch both sets of pyro shows at the same time 2-for-1, hehe:)

Anhslaught 06-07-2008 03:33 PM

ah its Jay! Man I miss you guys. You probably don't remember me but you use to help critique my stuff back then. :)

So does vladamir and some of the older folks still around?