Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Website Help (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11169)

painterdan 27-03-2004 12:10 AM

Website Help

1 Attachment(s)
Hey all,

I currently have a crappy website that I made a few years ago that has my art...and well...it's crappy, so I am rebuilding a new website.

I am currently just editing pictures and pages in Adobe, then will upload them onto Angelfire or some other free webhost service.

Anyways, I am having some difficulty with my front page.

I made a template for the front page, and it has slots for thumbnails that you click on to open up a gallery holding that type of picture that I drew.

However, I do not know freehand code to move pictures around other than left/center/right justification.

I cannot figure out how to move the pictures into the given areas for my site.

I have an old old old old trial version of Dreamweaver and all my pictures either get stuck against the left side of the screen...or randomly put in.

Does anyone know of a free program, or ceap program(only 17 and not much money) that I can use to get the pictures into the slot? Or if there is something I can do in freehand coding?

here is my old crappy site : http://www.angelfire.com/art2/danielalexander

I am attaching a pic of my new background for the front page so you all can see what I am talking about.

If anyone can help me, I'd appreciate it A LOT! Thanks guys!

DSA

Darkware 27-03-2004 12:42 AM

I would recommend tables... just specify the width and height of each table to space other tables where they need to be that have your thumbnails. Will that suffice or do I need to provide examples? some people have a lot of trouble with tables...

painterdan 27-03-2004 07:04 AM

I somewhat know how to do tables...just need to reteach myself(won't be too hard)

but how do I get it so my background appears the same, but the tables are in the same spots I have plotted for my gallery thumbnails and news etc??? I just dont know how to position the things :(

Orrr....do I just make an invisible(no border) table going all the way across.....and just measure the width of outside border and gallery space etc???

DSA

doodle 27-03-2004 08:42 PM

What i'm using for my site is what Dreamweaver calls 'Draw Layers' It's basically a box and you can inset text or images and move it anywhere on the page.

Kinda similar to how a text box in Word/Publisher works.

painterdan 28-03-2004 03:46 AM

Ya, My pal in my class uses Dreamweaver and told me of that(using the Draw Layers thing)

However my free trial-version is either too old or doesn't have all the goodies...so when ever I insert an image, they all get stuck along the left side of the page...only way to move them is to hit ENTER or type text infront of it :(

DSA

doodle 28-03-2004 09:16 PM

What version pf Dreamweaver do you have?

Try Insert > Layers, or do a search in the help documents (Help > Using Dreamweaver)

painterdan 29-03-2004 06:37 AM

Its Dreamweaver 2 I think...told you its really old :(

I looked all through the trial version and couldnt find anything with layers

DSA

painterdan 31-03-2004 03:38 AM

Mmm I know you're all into Maya, not all web dudes....but do anyof you know of a forum that could help me out??? I've been searching but no luck as of yet....want to get it up and eventually start selling some of my requested drawings(the ones that are 14x17 feet...ones I cant scan :)) ...sell them so I can get some money for college and to buy a real copy of maya :D

DSA

Ultragames 31-03-2004 07:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Personaly i hate dreamweaver, but thats just me. I code it all myself.

Tables, and image splicing. It might take a while for you to learn how to get the images to align correctly, but heres the code i come up with, if you splice your design liek the image below.

Quote:

<div align="left"><table border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0"><tr>
<td width="299" height="98" colspan="3">
<div align="center">MAIN HEADER</div></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td width="100" height="98" valign="top">
<div align="center">MECHS</div></td>
<td width="100" height="293" rowspan="3" valign="top">
<div align="left">NEWS</div></td>
<td width="99" height="98" valign="top">
<div align="center">SPORTS</div></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td width="100" height="98">
<div align="center">FANTASY</div></td>
<td width="99" height="98">
<div align="center">PAINTBALL</div></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td width="100" height="97" valign="bottom">
<div align="center">DESIGN</div></td>
<td width="99" height="97" valign="bottom">
<div align="center">MISC</div></td>
</tr></table></div>

painterdan 31-03-2004 06:21 PM

Ultragames you are a god!

Thank you so much for helping me out on this...it was absolutely killing me....thank you!

DSA :) *happy camper now*

Ultragames 01-04-2004 01:10 AM

np man. Web design is my job.

what does DSA mean?

painterdan 01-04-2004 10:49 PM

DSA=

Daniel Scott Alexander...my name obviously :)

Ive been trying to find out for the last two years on how to move things over....I took a beginner class my sophmore year in webdesign...but mostly taught myself......couldnt figure out the alignment other than left/center/right :(

thanks again!

DSA

painterdan 18-04-2004 07:55 AM

Mmmmm weird...I copies your html code exactly..then applied everything to it...buuutttt....everything is stuck on the left side of the page???What code will manually shift things over??? like <BR> is a line break...moves things down 1 line...is there a similar code for moving horizontally???

Orrr did I just mess up when I put in my img src's..?

thanks!

painterdan 18-04-2004 08:02 AM

1 Attachment(s)
here's the pic of how it's stuck

painterdan 18-04-2004 08:03 AM

*edit...nevermind AOL is being stupid*