Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   maya 2008 very weird problem. faces are missing on object (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30400)

dubai3d 13-07-2008 06:41 PM

maya 2008 very weird problem. faces are missing on object

1 Attachment(s)
hi everyone,

I just model a F16 jet, when i tried some rendering and smooth , suddenly i saw some of the faces are missing, the reason I dont know. can someone help me out.
I had it before, but cant really remember where the problem is,

maybe you know better,

have a look at image, the blue wireframe, it is not wireframe on shaded, it is just appear on my object, so i need your help,

BennyK 13-07-2008 07:18 PM

I don't know exactly what this is about but it looks like a sub-d/polygon transformation issue. I bet you've got two mashes, one on top of the other in this model...
try to clean it up, so you're left with only the base polygon mash and then prep it for render again (delete history before you do that as well).
Sorry I can't offer more professional help
Benny

starjsjswars 13-07-2008 10:34 PM

Ive had this many many freakign times i hate it, ive never found out a way to get rid of it, but just restarting from the last save.

this bug takes pleace when u convert the ploy to subd or other way around.

Gen 13-07-2008 10:45 PM

You know, I don't remember if this is even the solution but try deleting history and reapplying the shader.

Joopson 14-07-2008 01:45 AM

actually, this happens when converting to Sub-d, than you simply undo it. I suggest converting back instead of undo-ing it.

starjsjswars 14-07-2008 03:29 AM

no that doesnt work lol

Joopson 14-07-2008 09:03 AM

actually, yes it does, lol, if the error didn't already happen.

starjsjswars 14-07-2008 01:03 PM

JOOPNUB IT DOSNT WORK FOR ME

OIL CAN v.2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dubai3d 14-07-2008 01:38 PM

hi guys, thanks for replay.

I tried
-undo = undo option doesn't work at all
-delete history doesn't help
-convert back to sub and than back to polygon = doesn't help
-try onther shader to it, yes it is help but just I got whole surface back, so I can see my f16 looks normal. but now I got 2 meshes on top of each other,

it is 2 meshes on top of each other, need remove one of them

do you know how? please don't tell me select the faces and delete the faces, it is 1000 of poly faces, tried do the merge vertex still doesn't help.

anyone smart here?

BennyK 14-07-2008 03:30 PM

After the mash is already **** up there's not much you can do... try deleting whatever you think is unnecessary from the hypergraph(First delete all connections among whatever mashes you find there), that might work(It did for me anyway).

about undo - if you just loaded a file and you don't have some advanced settings activated then you're not supposed to be able to undo. Another bug I noteiced is that Ctrl+Z doesn't always work, so try Edit->Undo.

Joopson is right. You can AVOID this bug by not undoing Poly->Sub-d transformation. After it happened undo is quite useless...

Hope it helps,
Benny

gubar 14-07-2008 03:41 PM

You could try selecting the object, the select "Mesh > Seperate". You may then be able to select just the duplicate and delete it.

Or, you could try running polygon cleanup on it, trying various settings. Or maybe select all the vertices and merge with a very low value.

cheers

gubar

BennyK 14-07-2008 03:56 PM

I just tried it:
Separate won't work, marge vertices didn't work for me but if it does, it might enable you to use cleanup successfully, otherwise that won't help either.
If my previous advise didn't work, you might want to try an advanced cleanup mel script (google it).
Benny

NeoStrider 15-07-2008 02:42 PM

look in your hypergraph to make sure you don't just have two copies of the same thing overlapping each other... if you say you have two meshes, then two meshes you have, and one is enough. delete the other object.

BennyK 15-07-2008 02:52 PM

NeoStrider:
It wont hurt to read the whole thing through before you comment...

NeoStrider 15-07-2008 03:02 PM

hahahaha whoops yea totally passed over that, sorry man.

after seeing everyone start commenting about materials and re-converting and undoing i kinda just went into skimming mode.

hell i was gonna say select the one object and export it into a new scene, but then thought 'gee what if there's a duplicate that's just creating viewport confusion and he got what he wanted but he just can't see it right?' and opted for solution: hypergraph. i honestly believe no more than about 15% of the newer newbs even know what it is. kinda like how the multilister is to the hypershade, the hypergraph seems to be to the outliner as of late. *shrug*

wow i kinda just went on a whole mental trip didn't i? it's like 6:00 AM and i've only got 2 hours of work to go... <sigh>