Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Work In Progress (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Animation clip (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23670)

mr pix. 29-10-2006 07:18 PM

Animation clip

Ok, since this forum is made up for work in progress so therefore its good for critism and advice,...i thought i'd post my animation here.

There is no sound and has a story behind it, but i wont go into that now.

This is my first animation short. The first scene of it. A few gliches which i am aware of, but I will wait before i blurt out what i think whats wrong with it until i hear what you guys think whats wrong with it.

More critism the better.

(be gentle, it IS my first attempt)

Thanx guys

:beer:

http://www.pixalbeat.com/linkspage.html

dockode 29-10-2006 09:58 PM

Keep in mind that I have never done any animation work. Well not anything significant.

I think that perhaps there is not enough light in the scene. I know it's supposed to be dark. But just a little bit more lighting might be nice inside the house.

I like the animation, it is a bit jerky here and there, in other words I feel like it needs to be smoothed out a bit. It's not 100% necessary, but it couldn't hurt.

Outside of that it's pretty interesting.

mr pix. 29-10-2006 10:35 PM

dockode thanx dude. Much appreciated. I agree. Bit jerky.

Yes the place is supposed to be dark, and about a few seconds into the next shot (the one i am working on) he turns the lights on.

I will work on the jerkiness.

Thanx again and keep it coming

:beer:

Lt Jim 30-10-2006 05:44 AM

Definitely not bad for a first try! I do agree that the animation is jerky, but it certainly isn't beyond repair. One way to look at it is to forget for a minute that you are in Maya. Put yourself in the character's boots and imagine what you would do if you were him.

When you've figured that out, do a few sequential thumbnails. Animate in passes. Do the head first, the arms next, the hands next, &c (basically, the largest objects/most obvious motion gets animated first).

TAKE SOME TIME to learn the GRAPH EDITOR! You can probably "un-jerk" much of the jerky animation just by manipulating some of the curves! If there's ANY advice worth giving to an animator in Maya, it's "LEARN THE GRAPH EDITOR"!

As for the render, I do like the fact that it's in the dark, and the lighting is rather nice! What gets me, however, is WHERE the shadows fall. The shadows fall right across the character's eyes for much of the picture, and that pretty much kills it! In a "dark scene", the eyes are often the only indicator of what's going on!

I've done 2D animation for 15 years and Maya animation for about four years, so I think I can say what I just said with some degree of confidence!

Keep at it! :-)

mr pix. 30-10-2006 12:38 PM

Jim, thanx mate, thats some sound advice!

Thats a good point about the lighting on his eyes. The other points i am trying to improve is the candle lighting. Looks a bit unrealistic, with the shadow of the candle flame on the wall.

Trying to think a way around it, as its a nurbs sphere, tweaked, so its hard simulating a light that doesn't cast unrealistic shadows on it.

With the shadow on the eyes, there is a window frame that casts the shadows over that sort of area, so perhaps i need to think about that.

Thinking about it now, once you said it, the eyes do tell the biggest story.:beer:

Keep em coming. I'l keep posting updates too

Thanx guys

mr pix. 30-10-2006 12:40 PM

The other thing, is when he is asleep.

1) He sleeps for a bit too long. I want the viewers gripped, not falling asleep with him.

2) Whilst he is sleeping, his whole body moves, along with his arms off the table (not realistic at all).
I want his arms to stay in place on the table, but dont know the best way to ovecome this.

And yes sort out the jerkyness. He is supposed to be drunk, but thats no excuse. lol:attn:

Lt Jim 30-10-2006 11:50 PM

You could just move the blind slightly so that the character's eyes show.

As for animating the body without the arms following? The answer depends on how you rigged your character. If you post a shot of your character with all his controls, I might be better able to help! Is he rigged for FK? IK? Both?

If you are trying to simulate heavy breathing, the best way is probably to use a "squash deformer" on the body, or else create a blend shape relationship between the "default" body and a duplicate tweaked to look as if it has inhaled.

Keep me posted!

mr pix. 31-10-2006 11:47 AM

The character and rig was made courtesy of rodrig found at

http://www.highend3d.com/maya/downlo...rigs/4295.html

I downloaded it initially to play around with the rig and learn to animate, but then got a bit too into it, and started a little story. lol

So now was wondering how i could make the breathing look realistic. Have a look and see what you think.

Thanx Jim