Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Work In Progress (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Mech (similar to a star-wars walker) (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30223)

amoeba 24-06-2008 06:06 AM

Mech (similar to a star-wars walker)

1 Attachment(s)
Ok, first of all, please don't be too hard on me (I do not mind crits that are helpful, just not someting like: "NOOB! U suck!")...I started with maya a 2 weeks ago...

Please, if you know a better way of moddeling this then I do, correct me. Any help/comments/crits are appreciated.

I moddeld the leg so far. Just one question: Is it better to satrt with making the whole body and adding detail later, or starting out makink somehthing ddetailed staright away?
:confused:

24-06-2008 06:12 AM

not too bad of a start man kutgw, NOOB!:p

Gen 24-06-2008 06:52 AM

Looks good so far and lol nah, I don't think anyone here will seriously be a prick like that and say you suck, I've just never really seen that kind of attitude here. And yeah starting off with dense geometry early in the modeling stage isn't a good thing, since tweaking that will quickly become a pain.

amoeba 24-06-2008 09:28 AM

Edit

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks for the advice, gecT. I will try and get the basic shape of the mech now, before working on the detail.
Glad to see that this place is very friendly and helpfull.
:)

EDIT: I decided to model the legs first. I will take your advice gecT, it's just that I allready started moddeling it that way so I just keep going. For this project only though. ;)

Anything I did wrong with the leg/looks weird so far?
Part 2:

jsprogg 24-06-2008 09:42 AM

it's looking good so far, but I would also recomend you block out the whole thing first before moving on to detail as tempting as it is and heres why.
Once you have the body built you might decide that the legs need reshaping because lets say they can't hold the wieght/balance of the machine, it would be harder or more time consuming if the legs were detailed because of the increased vert count.The follows for any part of the model so it follows that getting the shape down first is the most productive way to go.
Saying all that if you design is locked down completely then detailing as you go is fine and as I said above so far so good .

Joopson 24-06-2008 06:46 PM

its looking pretty good! i suggest that you bulk up the "thigh" a bit, because it looks like it would snap under the weight of a mech ;)

-Andy

amoeba 25-06-2008 06:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok, did some more stuff, ad bulked up the thigh. I will probably bulk it up a little more. And I will probably change the gun aswell. Ideas for the gun are hghly appreciated (mainly on how to give it a "Sci-Fi" feel)

Ajmooch 25-06-2008 07:55 AM

I really like it, partially because one of the first mechs I made looked very similar, but here's a few things:

The thigh should be bigger than the lower leg, just a little bit, but enough so that you can notice it, and make the gun on the front a little bit smaller, it looks unbalanced.

Looking good though! Love the furnace thingy in the head.

amoeba 25-06-2008 08:41 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks for the positive replys everyone!
Really boosts enthusiasm... :)
Anyway, I tried rigging my mech (never did it before) and managed it. And I couldn't resist to see if my mech made a good gymnast... :P
(PS: I'll work on improving the mech now. :attn: )

Freaky-Freeky 25-06-2008 10:12 AM

Looking good, realising that you've only started using maya 2 weeks ago.
Perhaps you can change the shape of the main body a little bit, because right now it looks like a big heap of metal. Getting some shape in the body might make it look al little more mech-like

Keep up the good work ;)

NeoStrider 26-06-2008 07:30 AM

it's not a bad start at all, but after looking at your model for a few seconds, i realized that all it can do is walk straight... it can't turn.

amoeba 26-06-2008 07:44 AM

^hmm...you are right. Ill fix that up as son as possible!
:)

amoeba 27-06-2008 01:09 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok, im remodelling te body, I just can't stand the last-ones one.
It's not finished, yet, but It will give you an idea on how it looks like.
Crits are welcome. ;)

elephantinc 27-06-2008 01:11 PM

definatly better :)

amoeba 29-06-2008 01:27 AM

1 Attachment(s)
OK, as someone sade before, the mech before coulod only walk straight forward, so I changed the leg. Sorry for the bad lighting...