Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Dynamics & Special Effects (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Setting IK Ragdoll (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30333)

Edward256 08-07-2008 09:10 AM

Setting IK Ragdoll

Hi!
I've got a fun one here. I've made a nice simple basic stickfigure that I'd like to collapse after a bit of running.

Now for the structure of this stickfigure:
I started with one Surf Cyl and 2 Surf Spheres (to make a "capsule" shape) and grouped it. Then I duplicated it 8 times at half size to make arms and legs, and topped it off with a Surf Sphere for head. Next I put together IK bones using the Tutorials to make a Mechanical Arm for the arms and legs. Seperate bones mind you with 3 joints (shoulder, elbow, tip), and "Parented" them to the body (first "capsule"). So then I made a nice little walking animation... Ok, running because I set the steps 10 frames apart at 30fps, and applies gravity to see if it could walk on its own. Yeah, just bounced on the spot and fell over. Fun to watch, you guys should try it some time. :p

Anyways, the problem I'm having is that I've kept the Rigid Body properties of this mess and added velocity so that the stickfigure would appear to be running, and at first fall off a cliff, but now wish for him to run into a wall and collapse like a ragdoll. So how would I go about after a certain frame "loosening" the IK bones (stop them from using keys and rotate freely) and have the limbs go with the physics and bounce off the floor if needed. Another note about the structure of the stickfigure is that the "capsule" shapes intersect with each other so might be an idea to also tell me how I exlude certain objects from colliding with each other.

/Edward

ragecgi 08-07-2008 02:05 PM

Re: Setting IK Ragdoll

Ok,

For your "capsule" shapes, Maya has a capsule/pill primitive that you can use that will solve the "interpenetration" issue for you.
I'm not sure if it is a default primitive, or an "Unlimited-Only" primitive OR it may be a feature of the Bonus Tools download package.
If you don't already have it, you can get it from the Audodesk AREA community site, but it is free.

For your other issue of going from a rigged character to a "limp pin-constraigned"-style of dynamic passive-rigid ragdoll, the only way i can see that happening off the top of my head would be to switch between 2 versions of your character in post.

I'm not a character animator, so you may have to post that specific question to the animation forum:)

But anyhoo, as the fall starts, pick a frame you would like the switch to happen, pose the "ragdoll" character to match your falling rigged version, and simply animate thier visibility so a switch is made.

You can hide the switch in post with either motion blur, or a full-on cut to another camera.

Make sense?

lemme know:)

Edward256 27-08-2008 06:59 AM

Ok. I suppose it has to be a "cut" because I couldn't find any other solutions.

Now to just find some way to duplicate the characters and their "bones" a couple of hundred times to create a "It's Raining Men" scene... Or will I need Garry's Mod for that. <.<

/Edward