Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   UV projection window problem. (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11108)

THX1138 23-03-2004 11:57 AM

UV projection window problem.

Trying to UV map a simple model via planar mapping, and for some reason, I'm not getting a projection window beside the model. Tried some other projection options and I still get no projection window. Why won't the projection window show for me?

Alan 23-03-2004 12:41 PM

what do you mean by projection window? do you mean the UV texture editor? if so you need to open it up from window>>uv texture editor.

Alan

THX1138 23-03-2004 02:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a pic of the projection window im talking about. I would like to note that this is a pic off the net, not the model im working on.

Alan 23-03-2004 04:36 PM

Turn on smart fit in the options box, that seems to be the only way of hiding the projection manipulator tool.

Alan

THX1138 23-03-2004 05:34 PM

Actually, I want what the pic above deplicts. Is the square thing with the red and blue boxes a manipulator?

dragonfx 23-03-2004 05:36 PM

yes, that is the planar projection manipulator.

THX1138 24-03-2004 03:17 AM

The problem is that my planar projection manipulator does not show up when I choose planar mapping, or any other mapping method at that.

I could use some help on this problem.

jam_ed 24-03-2004 09:16 AM

Here are a few things that could be the problem:

- select a face and not a whole object then press planar mapping

- go to the properties of planar mapping and set the axis of your projection (x,y or z)

THX1138 25-03-2004 03:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Sorry, still not getting any results. I selected one face of the object, and selected planar, then went to properties and selected the axis that the model faced.

The manipulator is turned off for some reason, and I don't ever remember selecting anything that could have accidently turned the manipulator off.

Here is a screen shot of my planar properties.

jam_ed 25-03-2004 02:19 PM

Hmm that seems ok to me.

Try looking at the window|settings/preferences|display and then manipulator settings, maybe somethings turned off....

THX1138 26-03-2004 01:08 PM

Checked my window preferences/display/ manipulator settings. Im still not getting any results. I checked my tool settings and there are no settings for the manipular at all. I don't understand how this has happened.

Any other suggestions?

dragonfx 26-03-2004 09:19 PM

in the history select the projection line/tab(on your right,depending if youve got atribut ed or channelbox on) then on your left select the show manipulator handles should be the last one after the move/scale/rotate icosns...

good luck... you will soon understand why i HATE UV mapping:)...

Mooseboy 02-01-2005 02:20 AM

Yes, this thread is effectively dead, but dragonfx's answer was tantalizingly close yet too vague for ubernewbs such as myself. I added this post to help future frustrated users.

This thread explains in a little more detail what's going on, and provides a bit more insight into Maya. After reading both threads I solved the problem by starting with a model and opening the Channel Box, and then watching what changed when I did a planar projection. There appeared a new input called polyPlanarProj1, and when I selected that the manipulators appeared. So, hours after following the simple tutorial steps and scouring the manual and the web for info on how I can use the program, I can now proceed with the mapping. :angry: