Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Custom Polygon Display & settings (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15524)

Kumar 22-02-2005 11:15 AM

Custom Polygon Display & settings

Hi guys,,, ok finally,,, coming into the world of maya... not to mention apple shake.

Ok, i want to know,, is there a way to set the

display>Polygon>Custom Polygon Display

So that it acts for every polygon... like if i convert a nurbs to a poly,, it goes back to the normal style,,, the border edges are still the same as the others. As for nurbs,, they are fine as i can see the end sweep.

How would you check for ngons on a model.. is there a command or something that will show you which ones are ngons.

Oh ya one last thing. I am using Maya 6 Unlimited... any settings i should be turning off so that it loads faster... I was thinking of turning off paint effects and dynamics. if i was to turn off.. then if i want to use it... will it auto load??

A little explanation on settings... would be appreciated. Ok,, think after a while,, i should get the hang of it,,, but then again time is not on my hands as i am going to do this full time.

Ok at first i can just model in Lightwave... but i still need to get myself into Maya.

Any help is much appreciated.

mhcannon 22-02-2005 06:23 PM

Re: Custom Polygon Display & settings

Quote:

Originally posted by Kumar

Ok, i want to know,, is there a way to set the

display>Polygon>Custom Polygon Display

So that it acts for every polygon... like if i convert a nurbs to a poly,, it goes back to the normal style,,, the border edges are still the same as the others. As for nurbs,, they are fine as i can see the end sweep.

You can set the polygon component displays in Maya's preferences. You can also increase the border edge thickness for easier viewing.

Quote:

How would you check for ngons on a model.. is there a command or something that will show you which ones are ngons.
Under the Polygon menu is a cleanup option which will tesallate faces over four sides, detect lamina faces and non-manifold geometry, etc.

Quote:

Oh ya one last thing. I am using Maya 6 Unlimited... any settings i should be turning off so that it loads faster... I was thinking of turning off paint effects and dynamics. if i was to turn off.. then if i want to use it... will it auto load??
You can unload any plugins you're not going to use, play with the performance settings options, etc. I don't believe they will autoload on demand. You would need to turn them on then restart Maya.

You might also consider turning off any UI elements you don't need, for example if you're only modeling you probably don't neet the time and range sliders.

Kumar 22-02-2005 11:49 PM

Thanks, one last thing is that the polygon border thickness can it be set to default?