Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Maya 6 Bible (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15929)

Tim_LIVID 17-03-2005 08:17 AM

Maya 6 Bible

Im basiclly looking for a complete Maya 6 book, which covers all aspects of the program from modelling to rendering.

Is there any books out there that you can recomend?

Any help will be apreciated. :D

mhcannon 17-03-2005 04:41 PM

That's pretty tall order given the scope of Maya :)

From a conceptual basis, the Art of Maya 3rd edition is good. It's not a how-to book though. But it discusses just about everything in Maya and can at least point you the right direction and help you form informed questions.

The alias learning Maya series area ok, but individually they're expensive (although you can get a bundled discount) and being project based, they tend not be good reference books.

The Maya quickstart books is just the opposite, it makes a handy reference but since it covers so much of the program it is not in-depth in any area. Sort of a jack-of-all trades book. It doesn't cover the unlimited modules though.

Good luck on your quest and if you find such a book please let us all know.

Tim_LIVID 17-03-2005 05:09 PM

Cheers for that, i'll give them a look. I would be interested in what all you others think.

mhcannon 21-03-2005 05:00 PM

Come on all you Maya lovers... surely I'm not the only one reading books on Maya. I'd like to see your opinions/suggestion of Maya books also. Still got room on my shelf for a few books. :)

Tim_LIVID 21-03-2005 05:46 PM

I did hear that 'Maya 6 Killer Tips' was a pretty cool book to have, but I would like to hear from someone who has it. :D

keef 21-03-2005 06:36 PM

(In my humble opinion) "The Complete Reference Maya 6" by Tom Meade and Shinsaku Arima, is an excellent all-round book.

Like Michael says the scope of Maya is huge so you are not going to find a cover-all book out there - unless it runs to twenty volumes!!!

best

Keith

AlphaFlyte 22-03-2005 03:47 AM

I too have Tom Meade's book and it's nice. It has answered a lot of my questions and tought me new tricks, better workflow and so on. I don't have too many Maya books but this is the best allround book I have.

I also got Maya 6 killer tips and I can highly recommend this one. My philosophy on books in general is that the thinner they are the more content they have and less fluff. This was certainly the case with this one. Every page has a handy or neat trick for ya. You've been using Maya for some time so I guess this book will be sweet.

Tim_LIVID 22-03-2005 07:44 AM

Yer I think im probably going to get Maya 6 Killer Tips, it was recomended at college. I have been doing Maya long enought to say that I know the program so now I could do with knowing some little tips that will help improve my work.

Jay 23-03-2005 07:59 PM

Tim

I absolutely recommend any Maya book by John Kundert-Gibbs that you can get your hands on. Although I dont think hes done a Maya 6 book with 'everything in' but the one hes done with 'everything in' is called Maya 5 Savvy. It used to be called Maya Complete if you'll pardon the pun. As I have the version for Maya 3 (bought after I got started) it opens your eyes a bit more and goes thru the different aspects of Maya, modelling, mel ,animation etc. Check it out anyway.

I had a look for V6 of it on amazon by him but there doesnt appear to be one.

Or I recommend Maya character Animation by Jae Jin Choi, it covers a fair deal in there as well as the title itself.

Cheers Jango

lisa_gonzalez 24-03-2005 04:15 PM

A book I'd recommend is 'The animators survival kit' ...I know that this isn't about maya, but if your interested in animation, this book is awesome.

LisaG :D

utpal 30-03-2005 05:15 PM

i live in india and over here, we dont have much access to too many books. but out of the one that are available here, i like Inside Maya 5 (i know its not Maya 6 but, that's what's available here). it has got some good stuff. though it doesn't cover everything. i don't think any book would.
i found a good book on the net. its on character modeling and animation by a guy called Jae Jin Choi. seemed to be good. i don't have it. not available here. :(