Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   How did you find SM? (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31335)

11-11-2008 09:12 PM

How did you find SM?

how did you come across SimplyMaya?

for me it was a google search for "Maya Forum", simplymaya came up second so i looked around a bit and signed up, how about you guys?

gster123 11-11-2008 09:21 PM

When I first started to use maya, I googled "free maya tutorials" and found it off there, then joined up on the forum as it seemed a friendly place for advice, which it is.

BennyK 11-11-2008 09:31 PM

I googled "free Maya video tutorials" or something like that.
Benny

The Architect 11-11-2008 10:14 PM

I was having problems with my cubes not being in the right place... A Google turned up SM...

12-11-2008 12:28 AM

I Googled "free Maya tutorials" too.

tweetytunes 12-11-2008 01:31 AM

I too looked for free tuts on Maya and found this place, but left it alone for almost a year - then a friend at uni (Rosstoons - I think was his name on here) said that he had some good advise from here and when I came back I found my user name was taken - thinking that was odd I tried my old password and I was able to login - been in and out ever since - mostly for the Challenge (speaking of which where is the new one). Looking for a big come back in the next few weeks.

ragecgi 12-11-2008 05:30 AM

In 2002 I was doing a search on the then-active Highend 3D Maya forums, and someone mentioned SM there, so I checked them out, and the rest is history:)

elephantinc 12-11-2008 06:29 AM

I first found it while looking for an elephant tutorial which brought me to the oliphant tutorial, but i wasnt really up for the idea of video tutorials

I then later searchef for "maya forum" and it was top of the list

NitroLiq 12-11-2008 08:28 AM

I can't even remember, it was so long ago. For me, it was probably along the same lines as what Rage said—through Highend's forums or a lucky web search. There wasn't a whole lot of maya-centric information back then....at least on the strictly newb level....some tutorials here and there. SM was the only site at the time filling that niche. DT and most everyone else came later.

Mayaniac 12-11-2008 10:53 AM

I found it through Google. I was looking for a Maya specific forums.

Chirone 12-11-2008 01:45 PM

same way Benny did, although i didn't even know video tutorials existed back then so i was searching for maya free tutorials and then caught wind of video tutorials and got this, gnomon, and 3d buzz (strangely enough, digital tutors never came up)

BennyK 12-11-2008 07:23 PM

I didn't know video tuts existed as well. I was looking for some specific tutorials and found something on youTube and then I went searching for those...
SimplyMaya shows forth now but I think it was higher back then. This caught my attention: "Simply Maya - Video training for Maya 3D."

Benny

mtmckinley 17-11-2008 08:59 PM

I had written a bunch of tutorials on my site. My site has a traffic counter that tells me where people link to me from. Someone posted a link to my tutorials here and I noticed the influx of traffic and thought I'd check it out.

17-11-2008 09:55 PM

haha, that's cool, i was expecting you to be like "i've always been here, stalking david... *shifty eyes*"

lol, anyways, there seems to be a major common influence as to the reasons for joining here :p

BennyK 18-11-2008 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by mtmckinley
I had written a bunch of tutorials on my site. My site has a traffic counter that tells me where people link to me from. Someone posted a link to my tutorials here and I noticed the influx of traffic and thought I'd check it out.
When did that happen? (oh, August 2002, right...)
How did you become a moderator if you don't mind me asking?
Benny