Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Board Questions & Suggestions (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   monthly stats (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34670)

paldav 27-11-2010 07:10 PM

monthly stats

I would like to suggest that each month the person with the most posts gets X amount of free points!

I will never win it, but some people really get involved in other peoples work and problems and maybe a little recognition would be nice as they are the beating heart of some of the forums.

Also it would incentivise more people to post!

Secondly, maybe not as practical..

Maybe a random award or simillar may encourage people who only read to post the odd comment?:beer:

David 27-11-2010 07:15 PM

Nice idea i'll add some game mechanics to the new Forum.

Dave :)

27-11-2010 07:43 PM

That would be cool, but would also encourage a lot of spam :beer:

stwert 27-11-2010 07:46 PM

Yeah... that's asking for a heap of "nice job" or "bump" or "I have a really easy problem but posted here before looking anywhere else cause at least I get free stuff" posts. Meh.

Maybe if you had a thank you system or something, that would reward people that helped other people or gave good feedback? It's tough to implement, because it leads to the fallacy that people that post more are somehow more knowledgeable or experienced.

elephantinc 27-11-2010 08:05 PM

This'll end badly.

Some kind of reputation system would be better but by no means perfect.
I could see people avoiding giving reputation if they want to win it or people creating multiple accounts or getting friends to rep them.

These could probably be solved though, the first one probably won't be an issue because they'll probably still be people giving rep fairly. The multiple accounts problem could be solved by only allowing people with that have been active for x length of time/number of posts give rep.

Such a system might be too subjective though, people may give rep for things they agree with and avoid giving posts reputation that they disagree with, even if they are constructive and helpful.

The whole thing might discourage people giving constructive criticism and people may just say nice things in the hope of getting rep.

But then this forum is quite good, so most of these things aren't really a problem.

daverave 27-11-2010 08:32 PM

How about model or ligting of the month, must have been in WIP and then finished work, that might get more poeple posting there work..........dave

murambi 27-11-2010 08:52 PM

Quote:

how about model or ligting of the month
seconded this would be great in it should be on the front page

ColdWave 27-11-2010 08:57 PM

Just make button " Thanks ", so people can thanked for good feedback and problem solving.

stwert 27-11-2010 09:04 PM

Yeah, something like that would be nice Coldwave, but I think it's important that not too much importance or benefit comes from it, otherwise it'll get abused or misunderstood.

Jay 27-11-2010 10:11 PM

As it will be Admin dishing out any goodies or points, I think its best said that they are more than capable of deciphering who is spamming and wasting time

I recall a period a while back when the only bloody word used on a post was 'AWSOME' - if I had a bullet for everyone who posted this travesty, there would be no memebers on this site LOL

I believe Dave will recall my angst on this LOL

cheers
Jay

David 27-11-2010 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Jay

I believe Dave will recall my angst on this LOL

cheers
Jay

It was AWESOME to behold.

And no you still can't shoot people for saying it. :D

Dave

stwert 27-11-2010 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by David

And no you still can't shoot people for saying it. :D

Awesome.

3dStudent 27-11-2010 11:31 PM

The Admin/Moderators here are pretty awesome, they seem to read everything that gets posted... And post both more comments and more helpful comments than I can.
I like the idea of a reward system, the thanks button, the 'Incentivisationing' of WIP posting... As the Admin OBVIOUSLY don't have enough on their plates :D Let them control a rating system, If I post a helpful comment I feel good when the person I help thanks me, but if at the end of My post I see...

"David has given you a gold star"
"Miss_Nova has awarded you a warm fuzzy"

or some such, that'd be good too :) and at the end of the months if you tallied how many Kudos got dished out - No abuse.

Mayaniac 28-11-2010 12:21 AM

Sounds pretty good, but unfortunately awarding the most knowledgeable/helpful community members seems flawed.
After all, who needs the reward points more? The knowledgeable/experienced members or the members just starting out in the CG world, who might not be able to give the best advice or constructive criticism? But they're the ones that could use the points to access this site's contents.

But this is assuming that Rep/thanks will be given on a basis that the most helpful, insightful, constructive posts are the ones rewarded. And not the "Nice model man!" (which I'm more than guilty of posting.) which I feel the thread starter will award equally with the Helpful posts... if not more than the helpful posts, depending on how well the individual takes crits... no matter how helpful.

Also, the idea of making a "minimum posts" law so that only people who have above 500, for example, posts can be awarded Rep/Thanks as to try and reduce spamming risks from new member trying to hit "Highest poster status" might result in spamming anyway, as people try to reach the minimum post requirement.... though to best honest, you're going to get spam not matter what you do.

bullet1968 28-11-2010 02:39 AM

Jay,

there is only one of me.....giving me away each time some body says AWESOME would certainly cramp my life LOL.

I dont know if it is really needed is it...if you help some one (like I try) then I think in your own heart you know what you have done.

Spammers and general idiots WILL take this and run with it...leaving the real selfless people behind...just in posts..obviously Admin would control it.

David...will it add undue work to the admins? as the traffic would obviously increase.

I agree with steve in a way...noobs like me try to help in our own small way..but not necessarily giving total advice I suppose.

I have found a few mates through just a PM of thanks directly to them (personally) and now have regular talks on skype etc about all things Maya...which of course helps me out a shitload in learning what I need to become as good as some of you (well Im wishing amd hoping) LOL.

cheers bullet

hey Jay>>>AWESOME...LOL bahahah now give me to myself.