Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Work In Progress (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Churchill vii tank (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9099)

Ra1Der 24-11-2003 09:09 PM

Churchill vii tank

1 Attachment(s)
Well I have started on my first major project, weather or not I finish is another thing, everything is going as well as can be expected and I would like to share the first stage of my tank, I am starting to think it may be a lil ambisious of myself as I havnt done anything like this before. And I am dreading the tracks! My first problem however is where I have circled in red, I have created a polly base and I want to cut out this type of shape, what is the best way doing this? any other c and c's are most welcome :)

Sil-Valeor 24-11-2003 09:28 PM

Hey, there! looking intersting!
So so want to cut thw hole at that area? As far as I know you use boolean (polygon-->boolean). In example, if you have a plane, you make a sphere, and put it into the scene so that those 2 models are intersecting each other. Then you use that boolean thing and you get the whole, in the size of that sphere.
If you don't undestand, I'll make a mini tutorial for ya.

Tell me ,is this what you are looking for?

RickStefani 24-11-2003 09:34 PM

Is that the Maya PLE? If it is, tell me how alias put that out and actually though they were doing anyone a favor. 3D Software is about the end work. You would never be able to tell if Maya is worth a damb like that.

mrmacca 24-11-2003 10:06 PM

Yep Rick and the viewports are almost as bad.

RickStefani 24-11-2003 10:18 PM

That is insulting. My eyes hurt just looking at that.

The best way to do what you are working on is use the cut poly tool. Carve out the section. Do not use bollean. I do not recomend it. Not trying to step on toes, but boleans are a dirty modeling techneque that causes weird geometry. Always try to keap your mesh clean. It is faster to work with and will render better. You always want a chamfer on every corner. Booleans will make that imposible at times.

aldudeau 24-11-2003 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by RickStefani
Is that the Maya PLE? If it is, tell me how alias put that out and actually though they were doing anyone a favor. 3D Software is about the end work. You would never be able to tell if Maya is worth a damb like that.
I reckon Alias did a huge favour to any starting out artist! It allows people to try out Maya before deciding to spend the money or not. After all it is a lot of omney. And also why do you think Discreet put out the same kind of thing? Because they saw how much it could gain them :)

Ra1Der 24-11-2003 10:38 PM

I agree it makes my eyes hurt to, but I dont have 1,999 dollers! or 1,300 pounds lol and I prolly wont for a loooooong time! Atleast I know if I can get used to it, I will use that cut polly tool thanks for you expertise.

RickStefani 24-11-2003 10:45 PM

Discreet does not have a watermark and I do not think this is going ot help someone know if they want to spend that kind of money. If I had to play with that it would be a big hell no. That would only insight me into wanting MAX more. I like Maya after playing with both but they were student versions and did not make me feel blind. You can get the learning version of max for $175 a year. That is the full blown version. That breaks down to 14.60 a month. Less than a gym membership. We all chose Maya but I wish they were more like MAX in some ways. With how Quirky MAYA 5 is I am almost going to make the switch back, if I was not so invested.

dave_baer 26-11-2003 06:40 AM

Rick, Maya PLE is free so they put the watermark in the renders so you can't use the same software for commercial work that others are buying for X amount of dollars. Not an insult, just a smart marketing campaign. Use PLE to learn Maya, then go buy it when you're good at it. Better to try it for free and decide you don't like it then to spen thousands on it and then decide you don't want it.

Ra1Der... To early to give any real C&C, but as for the shape, use a cylinder with one side flattend, then use the Booleans Difference or Intersection tool. I forget which will give the cut like that, but try both. One will work. Also, make sure you pick what you're going to cut first, then the block you're going to use to cut with.

Ra1Der 26-11-2003 08:07 AM

Thanks for that, I will try that, I tries using the slice tool and it left me with with some odd shaped polly before! I am wondering how I should tackle the tracks. I am not going to be animating, so should I just idvidually create a track and the duplicate? Or is there a better way?

Alan 26-11-2003 02:04 PM

Quote:

Rick, Maya PLE is free so they put the watermark in the renders so you can't use the same software for commercial work that others are buying for X amount of dollars.
but the maya watermark is so over the top! Houdini has one as well but it is a small thing in the bottom of the pic saying "non commercial version" or something along those lines with a small logo. That's a sensible watermark. I've never seen PLE so I cant' comment on the viewports but it would drive me mad if it had that sort of stuff in there as well.

Watermarking is a good idea and I'm all for it but not in the ridiculous way that Alias do it.

Alan

Ra1Der 26-11-2003 06:09 PM

that booleans doesnt apear to work :( it cuts both of them no matter what tool I use

RickStefani 26-11-2003 06:25 PM

Post us a wire and I will see if I could show you were to use with the "cut poly tool".

I am not disagreing with a watermark. Look at Vray. You could not use it for comercial use but you can see the render. as Pure_Morning said, this is over the top.

I looked up the tank you are build and yours is really close.

Ra1Der 26-11-2003 07:08 PM

I noticed it said problem with resolve non solid shell, does that meen what I think it does? However I decided to go back and cut it from underneath its alot better this time :)

Pony 26-11-2003 07:41 PM

ok so buy your last post do you meen you have it how you want it now ??