Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Work In Progress (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Human Hand (using my newly aquired Simply Maya skills!) (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36038)

KartoonHead 25-07-2011 12:33 AM

Human Hand (using my newly aquired Simply Maya skills!)

1 Attachment(s)
Hi all,

I was on here about a month ago showing off stuff I had done with little to no knowledge of how to use Maya properly and I've made significant progress since then.

The most recent and biggest step in furthering my understanding of Maya came from a tutorial which I purchased from this site; the low poly modelling tutorial with the little tribal guy. Prior to this I had only been using the modelling methods outlined in the Maya 2012 documentation, which is less than in-depth, so I'd like to say a big thanks to Simply Maya for providing me with that resource!

Here's my latest WIP which is a human hand, I'd upload my first (pre-tutorial) attempt at it but it's so bad it'd have you all in stitches! Everything I make is intended for use in games so I try to cut back on polygons wherever I can, I think I'm achieving that with this model.

Of course I've only worked on the left side of the hand, the pinky and the ring finger, but it's getting there! I don't have any imageplanes to work from so I'm just stopping and looking at my own hand from time-to-time for reference :giggle:

If anyone else who's reading this has bought any Simply Maya tutorials, which ones would you recommend for someone working with games? I intend to purchase one to do with animation when I have a few characters ready to go into UDK. I can do animation already, but that's what I said about polygon modelling before I bought the tribal guy tutorial!

Martin.

UPDATED!

Model looks pretty much done to me, time for UV unwrapping? Criticism welcome :)

daverave 25-07-2011 12:39 PM

Hands are quite hard to do correctly I think you have a good start..........dave

KartoonHead 06-08-2011 01:00 PM

Updated!

Any criticism welcome :)

daverave 06-08-2011 02:12 PM

Thumb is a little short and if you look at your hand in side vue look like a wedge shape...........dave

ctbram 08-08-2011 04:07 PM

I agree with Dave the thumb seems a tad short and to my eye the forefinger appears a tad to long.

The thumb when pressed against the hand should come to about halfway up the first joint of the fore finger. The fore finger is a bit long, it should be about half the distance of the tip of the middle finger joint. The third finger (the one next to the middle finger) should be a little longer then the fore finger and the pinky finger should come to the end of the second joint of the third finger.

These are the rough values I use.

Jay 10-08-2011 12:17 PM

I did a hand tute for Simply Maya, I believe its on their You Tube account ‪Simply Maya Tutorial Low Poly Hand - Part 1 of 8‬‏ - YouTube

enjoy
Jay