Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Previous Challenges (Archives) (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   April Challenge_Low PolyCharacter_RockyMills_01 (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35458)

RockyMills_01 09-04-2011 03:15 AM

April Challenge_Low PolyCharacter_RockyMills_01

1 Attachment(s)
Hi guys,
My arms been twisted and the heavens opened up and bestowed to me some extra time. Yeah!!!:D
I decided to use two characters that u may remember. Toejam and Earl, from the 1990…something…Sega game called Toejam and Earl Panic on funkotron.
In the game, you explore your alien home planet hunting down humans and catching them in jars, when this is done you throw them in a space ship and send them back to earth.
I remember when my sis and I killed this game when it came out.
My entry will include Toejam and Earl all geared up for some human hunting I will try to incorporate them into a pokemon trainer, feel while keeping a small amount of the native style of funk. I feel that the Pokemon theme kinda plays on the “gotta catch em all” missions of the original game.
Can't wait to get started.....:D
Please let me know of any suggestions.

Chirone 09-04-2011 03:51 AM

oh yeah! rocky's in the game!
can't say ive seen the game though... i think i've heard the name though
what are you going to capture humans with?
maybe giant bubbles like in the original bubble bobble game

RockyMills_01 09-04-2011 03:53 PM

yeah. I wanted to do something a bit from the norm.
bubbles sounds interesting, but in the original game the main characters caught the humans with jars.....lol
The humans would be trapped in the jars and then can be transported.

YouTube - Toejam & Earl Panic on Funkotron

RockyMills_01 13-04-2011 02:34 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Here's an update. I have fleshed out the characters a bit more in design. In addition, i pulled some elements from other games like Ratchet and Clank and even the movie men in black. I want to give each character a unique weapon as well.
This is the base design for Toejam and Earl. Now I can prepare for the modeling process.
---------------------------------------------

Toejam and Earl “Human Hunters”
Toejam aka “TJ” is the “hot shot” arrogant and high tempered. He seeks to be the best at what he does and craves competition. He often brags about his high human catch rate in all of funkotron. He is highly skilled in his accuracy and his throwing arm. TJ keeps a momento of the first human he ever caught when he was a kid. TJ gun of choice is the Bubble Gun which he conveniently calls “Juicy fruit”

Earl aka “Big Ez” is more laid back and easy going, He may be large, but his weight never slows him down. He provides the intel and provides the best strategy for success in any situation, even if the odds are stacked against them. Earl is responsible for the gadgets used within the league including his personal favourite “the snip and snipe”

Chirone 13-04-2011 04:45 AM

snip and snipe? that sounds painful!
that is really cool concept art you got there. I expect your modeling would speed up by a lot since you know where you're going with it all.

nice video too. now we got this in context

mastone 13-04-2011 06:48 AM

great drawings indeed

bullet1968 19-04-2011 10:40 AM

LOL I remember this game man.....been a week or more rocky...whatsa goin down with the model?

cheers bullet

RockyMills_01 23-04-2011 04:54 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Hey Guys,
Whew! I have been up and down with work last week. I was off island to my neighbouring island to set up designs for their festival. It was crazy.
But Its all over now and I am back home in front of good ole Betsy ready to resume this project.

I invested some real good hours a couple days back in fleshing out both Toe Jam and Earl.
both total around 3500 polys each but the number will increase some cause of detailing.

I got a few pesky triangles to the back of Earl's head, I am thinking of leaving them cause they are out of
the way and no one would really see them.
and... I am gonna but the strap on Earls bag
Let me know what u think so far......i am gonna get started on the weapons.;)

stwert 23-04-2011 06:58 PM

Nice! Looks great to me so far. Does toejam's (?) hat have any thickness? Are you going to add some?

Chirone 23-04-2011 10:35 PM

looking great!
no real feedback to add other than that..

RockyMills_01 24-04-2011 04:57 PM

2 Attachment(s)
thanks.
An update on the weapons....
@ Stwert: is this enough thickness?

On to tackling those UVs:playfull:

stwert 24-04-2011 10:54 PM

Yeah, that looks great. Keep it up!

bullet1968 25-04-2011 01:54 AM

LOL I LOVE it...great characters! keep up the good work mate

cheers bullet

RockyMills_01 25-04-2011 05:26 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Human Hunters Inc.
The company's emblem. :D
Don't mind the slogan....lol

Chirone 25-04-2011 06:50 AM

haha, brilliant!

sort of reminds me of the red vs blue logo
Did you draw the H yourself? or did you make a font for it?