Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Work In Progress (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Gaol By Night...please review (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10058)

Medowie 28-01-2004 06:36 AM

Gaol By Night...please review

1 Attachment(s)
Hey, I'm been using maya now for just over 4 months after coverting from Blender. I've found blender an excellent program and i'm virtually a beginner in modelling. This gaol pic has been in my estranged head for a while and i finally got it going. Please C&C. I know there's something wrong with the bed, any suggestions?

Akai 28-01-2004 02:43 PM

can't make out much detail with such a dark image

what I CAN see does look good

perhaps a lighter render or wireframe?

Alan 28-01-2004 02:52 PM

the render is far too dark to make anything out at all. I would add some fill/bounce lights to you scene (remember that CG light doesnt bounce (Unless it's raytraced) so you need to compensate for this. One bad solution is to add a low intensity ambient light (but that will remove depth from your scene (as it illuminates everything equally). A better solution is to use point/spot lights to add extra light.

Good luck
Alan

twisteddragon33 28-01-2004 04:19 PM

i think the bed is too short... my feet would be on the floor. And it looks too blocky with hard edges. Maybe bevel the edges would help. Adding a small mat would too. Possibly upping the lightbulb in the room, or having a light outside the cell shining in would help.

I-Iybrid 28-01-2004 04:30 PM

From what I can see, the pillow looks abit hard to me. Like its a rock or something. Maybe round off the edges alittle? To give it that 'soft' look. The shadows look abit hard to me. The light bulb, its semi-transparent. All the light bulbs Ive seen, are white. Thats all I can see. Like the others said, just add some more light to the scene, and we'll be able to see whats going on. Just some constructive C&C. :)

maya4todd 28-01-2004 05:04 PM

I think there's a Mac/PC issue here. I can make out plenty of detail. Macs and PCs work at different gammas when it comes to viewing imagery on monitors.

Regarding the image, I'd say the bed is too short. The light bulb is too big (and transparent). I would add more dirt. Something is causing the unusual casting of the bars' shadow against the left wall that goes all the way to the ceiling and stops. I am guessing here but it seems that maybe some surfaces have been "excluded" from the wrong light source; which may be causing the unusual shadow casting.

Pony 29-01-2004 02:57 AM

sometimes I wonder people that are concerned with making nice images on there computer ignore calibrating there monitors.

About your post Medowie. Yeah bed might be to short but that’s hard to tell really because the first problem with this one, is it looks very distorted like it was almost done with a fish eye lens. it looks like the rendered camera was set to less that 35mm on the lens. maybe if you toke the lens up to 50 or 55mm it would be much easier to tell if there are any other problems.

strobe7 29-01-2004 02:54 PM

I don't think there would be chains going down the wall, it would be affixed at the wall, and then supported by the chains on the outer-edge, and usually a toilet is situated at the back of the cell next to a rudimentary sink (if you are going for realism).
It looks good though!

Immortal1490 29-01-2004 03:08 PM

i dont think there are chains on the wall, thats shadows

rich 29-01-2004 03:19 PM

My crits... to add to the others:

(1) The light is too white for a tungsten bulb - it should be a little more yellow.

(2) The toilet-side wall is too clean - you maybe need to texture this.

Medowie 30-01-2004 09:00 AM

thanx guys, updating when i get some time when not doing any school homework. thanx for the comments though

mrmitch 30-01-2004 05:09 PM

I think they're being a little harsh with the "darkness" and shadows. I am assuming that there's an unseen hallway light causing the shadows of the bars on the wall. Not sure if that was the author's intent but it's OK with me. I like the "HELP" message on the wall. I would agree on the chain on the wall comment. I would remove the top chain and rethink that part.

A very good start and much better than many images posted here.

Alan 30-01-2004 05:47 PM

Quote:

A very good start and much better than many images posted here
It's not about that! It's not a competition! We are trying to help a noob, we could just sit here and pat them on the back and say well done but then they wouldnt learn. Nobody has been harsh about the piece, they have just offered good constructive crits.

The bottom line is that the scene is too dark, there are pitch black shadows and that just wouldnt happen. e.g. look at the shadow undr the bed. There's light streaming through the bars and then it stops dead under the bed and turns jet black. It just doesnt happen that way :)

That comment could start a flame war and hijack the thread so think a bit more first ;)

Alan

twisteddragon33 30-01-2004 09:14 PM

they dont become pitch black as i can see the bars shdows seperate from the bed shadows under the bed. its not that dark. but a little too dark seeing as cement usually reflects some light well because its so light.

Remember, shadows are darker and have cleaner edges the closer the object is to them. the farther away the object is the more blurred the shadows esge and lighter the shadow.

Medowie 04-02-2004 10:38 AM

progress

1 Attachment(s)
hey, ive worked on it a little, new perspective and tried to lighten it up a bit. Any suggestions would be appreciated!