Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Web Hosting (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2478)

deviantdreamworks 02-12-2002 10:37 PM

Web Hosting

Hey,
Just wondering were I can get a good web hosting cheap. I tried Flohost.com but the jipped me and now my site is down and so is their's. I am going to try www.ionhosting.com there $9.95 or their $14.95 plans. Kevin you said something about hosting me, please let me know what the specs are and the price. Can I ask you for support on the servr? :D

:beer:
Thanks,
Deviant Dreams

David 02-12-2002 11:09 PM

mod_perl 1.27
PHP 4.2.3
perl 5.8.0
Mason
Apache::ASP

and all you standard stuff mysql, proftpd, mail IMAP and POP etc etc

dont know if kevin is doing hosting atm you will have to ask him :)

tariqrf 03-12-2002 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by David
mod_perl 1.27
PHP 4.2.3
perl 5.8.0
Mason
Apache::ASP

and all you standard stuff mysql, proftpd, mail IMAP and POP etc etc

dont know if kevin is doing hosting atm you will have to ask him :)

:confused:!!!!

Kevin 03-12-2002 12:56 AM

sure Ill sort some out for you dreams and get you the best price to

David 03-12-2002 01:23 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by tariqrf
:confused:!!!!
What would you expect to find on a web server?

tariqrf 03-12-2002 01:31 AM

files!!! images, CSS scripts and HTML files.... thats alll..:D

Kevin 03-12-2002 09:22 AM

lol, how about the things that run the files, images, CSS scripts and HTML files

LOL :D

deviantdreamworks 06-12-2002 02:21 AM

Sorry, I found a host, with these specs:

1 Gb total disk space
20 Gb bandwidth
unlimited mySQL
100 sub-domains
unlimited standards
All for $10.95 :D
Please let me know what you think or if you can offer better. :D
BTW** deviantsdream@hotmail.com is my new e-mail

BabyDuck 06-12-2002 10:14 AM

it is dangerous to have the bandwith limit only 20 times more than the place of the server. you might get tempted to use the space and then you pay high rates for extra traffic.

sometimes it is smarter to have less space, but unlimited traffic as you have fixed and calculatable costs.

Kevin 06-12-2002 11:00 AM

deviantdreamworks, who is this with? let me see what there "unlimited standards" are like.

Jamesh 06-12-2002 09:51 PM

I use media temple.

not so cheap but very fast and reliable. I got burned on the cheap stuff too many times. and $18.95/month isn't so bad for dependability.

David 07-12-2002 02:37 AM

Got to go with Jamesh on this, is far better to pay more in these situations any one that says unlimited anythig is just flat out lying to you.

I like what media temple have done to there ensim WebAppliance Control panel iv customised WebAppliance b4 and its a pain in the ASS!

Hostings a problem when your site gets as big as this one basicaly your looking a your own dedicated server :( even a cheap unmamaged plain red hat one, you're looking at $120 - $200 USD a month

And then you need two can't backup to the same box so add anther $120 - $200 USD a month :(

David :)

Oculus 07-12-2002 02:39 AM

Kevin, you host people?

What are your rates?

I am currently seeking a host, just enough space to show off my art and animations... nothing less nothing more. =]

Darkware 07-12-2002 02:47 AM

How do you all even afford to run this site? I know people spend money to become a VIP member, but that can't possibly cover the cost.

Kevin 07-12-2002 08:48 AM

chris: We are working on some new web packages at this time.

I will let you know ASAP!

Darkware: Yes , this site cost a lot to run! That is why we have the vip area, as well as have somewhere people can learn without going through millions of sites to find half done tutorials!

So its either banner adds / popups or the VIP area. But if we went the banner add way then simplymaya would not be here. Banners and pop ups are one of my biggest dislikes on the net.

Plus the VIP area rocks: 24 hrs of tutorials!! Infact this whole site rocks! I dont know ANYWHERE that helps maya users as much as this site. And although biased I really believe this to be true.