Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Work In Progress (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Spitfire Model Progress (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16214)

BMS 06-04-2005 10:34 AM

Spitfire Model Progress

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Guys,

I've watched pretty much the whole tutorial and I've started modelling. This model isn't going to look like the one Kurt created because I'm using different reference pictures and referring to pictures from the web.

I've spent a lot of time in trying to get the wing profile looking right and I'm happy with the general shape. Any feedback welcome.

Cheers
Paul

uberstonks 06-04-2005 12:50 PM

Great start but the wingtip shape doesnt look right. The spitfire wasnt as pointed as that

BMS 06-04-2005 07:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks Man,

I was so focused on achieving the wing profile of the airfoil and the fuselage fillet, that I didn't even notice the wing tip. That was out by a mile!

Cheers
Paul

Here is the updated wing tip:

BMS 06-04-2005 07:21 PM

BTW: Should I be posting this in the WIP section?

uberstonks 07-04-2005 01:41 AM

Yup... Im sure one of the moderators will move it for you.. Dont bother starting a new thread

BMS 08-04-2005 07:38 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Cockpit Cut-out complete, which has taken me the longest . . . probably because I had no idea what I was doing :)

If I get a chance I will start working on the Fuselage later tonight and possibly the Tailplane too.

Cheers
Paul

lisa_gonzalez 08-04-2005 08:26 AM

Thats looking great BMS, I'm glad you sorted out the problem with the cockpit. I might take a look at that tutorial myself, I'm doing the Yamaha at the mo though (I really should update my thread on that!).

LisaG :D

BMS 08-04-2005 08:54 AM

Thanks Lisa,

I looked at your Yamaha WIP a while back, how is it going?

I'm hoping I can get this model done in a couple of weeks. The hard part is finding the time. I had heaps of probs with the cockpit and as a result spent a lot of time on it. I guess the good thing is I learnt a lot from it.

I'm really looking forwards to Texturing this model and seeing how it comes out . . . hopefully animated.

Cheers
Paul

PS: we have friends over and I just had dinner and a couple of beers, not sure if I'm in any condition for modelling :)

lisa_gonzalez 08-04-2005 11:42 AM

I know what you mean about finding time to get things done. The last thing I want to do when I get home is switch on my computer, as I've been sitting infront of Maya all day at work. I'll post an update on my Yamaha soon. I think I'm going to use it for texturing practice too. Kurts tutorials are great, I've learned a lot of great techniques that I wasn't aware of.

I think its great that your using the tutorial but applying it to your own design, thats a really good way to learn, and it'll be more of your own model.

Right, off to lunch, catch you later :)

LisaG

BMS 08-04-2005 11:57 AM

I think it was luck and timing more than anything else. I actually started modelling a Spitfire a few weeks ago, but was running into all sorts of problems, like the cockpit. The good thing was I tried building it, but it wasn't turning out the way I hoped. As soon as the tutorial was released I purchased it.

It was great to see how someone else tackled building it. I downloaded about fifty pics of actual spitfires for reference! So if it turns out the way I would like, it should be a good model.

You're off to lunch and I'm going to be going to bed in a couple of hours :)

Cheers
Paul

BMS 09-04-2005 05:26 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Started work on the Tailplane today. This is the progress so far.

Cheers
Paul

Kurt 09-04-2005 06:07 AM

Very nice start mate... keep it going...

BMS 09-04-2005 06:34 AM

Thanks Kurt,

It getting there slowly :)

Cheers
Paul

uberstonks 09-04-2005 01:38 PM

looking good

Anm8or 09-04-2005 06:18 PM

very nice start. cant wait to see more progress.