Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Work In Progress (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Kurts dragon head tutorial (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21050)

mmoore5553 12-04-2006 07:34 PM

Kurts dragon head tutorial

1 Attachment(s)
hey all

well I am at it again. I am trying the dragon head tutorial and going to work on this . Last model was tie fighter and it didnt show how to make details so i was lost. I am still very new ..need some help. I converted nurbs to polygons and then it no longer lined up with image plane. I am trying to get it back lined up. Having major issues. Here is the pic so far . The black lines are what i want to delete. i have tried to do it but would not let me.

Any of you know how i could line everything back up ? i know moving vertics but i have moved them the most i can. The ones with black lines if I delete them and combine some how I think I will be on target with teh image plane. If i am wrong or there is a better way please explain.

also this is pretty good for me and C and C is welcome but slow learning process ...also if you see issues with geometry let me know also . i am working on getting it all looking good there also

Jay 12-04-2006 08:43 PM

did you try delete vertex or delete edge commands?

My only thoughts that if these aren't working, is that theres still history on the poly mesh from the nurbs conversion, in which case you need to delete history on them both if they are still both there. Check the outliner to see whats going on, what objects are there etc...

Jay

mmoore5553 13-04-2006 12:46 PM

well i tried to delete vertixs and said i couldnt but if i delete edges they go away but how i go about joining the two edges ? would i just extrude the edges ? or is there another way that is easier ?

also converting from nurbs to poly does it always not line up ?

also i found out when i go ahead and deleted edges in nose and then pick vertices and merge both sides it ends up in wierd criss cross shape ...and doesnt keep the original layout. will try to post
picture tomorrow on what i am talking about .

progress will be slow. my internet is down so i have to use work ...i will have internet in a week ..dang tornado's ..

thanks to all. i have learned alot just being on here and doing my normal goof ups lol

happymat27 13-04-2006 02:42 PM

Hey there MMoore,

if you delete edges the vertices will still be there, Maya should then let you select the left over vertices and delete them if you want to. Alternatively ou could delete the unwanted faces then snap align the row of vertices on one side of the gap you've made to the other (one at a time) and merge them. The result is going to be pretty similar either way.

Take it easy

Mat.

mmoore5553 13-04-2006 03:09 PM

okay will try that when i get home. ..thanks for all the help .

mmoore5553 14-04-2006 01:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)
well I am on internet. .staying at someone else with internet woohooo ..okay i deleted edges and then merge vertics and this is what happens ..any ideas ?

Jay 14-04-2006 08:14 AM

Dude

Whay you have done has been a little over zealous there.

is there a hole there now or just bad geometry? If its a hole just go to editpoly menu and 'fill hole' then using the split poly tool put the edges you need back in , its very simple.

If there isnt a hole just use the split poly tool to put in the geometry again.

Lastly when using MergeVertices theres a tolerance slider in there depending on how high its numerical value is, will have a greater effect on more than one vertice there- merging more than you need if you have selected too many.

Cheers
Jay

mmoore5553 14-04-2006 11:22 AM

1 Attachment(s)
thanks jay. Figured it out with that info ..here is the update. Fixed geometry and then tried to get it more to image plane. Let me know what you all think. I know one area around mouth corners are those okay ?

mmoore5553 14-04-2006 11:23 AM

1 Attachment(s)
another shot. .. thanks Mat and Jay. I respect both of your comments and thanks for the help. I am learning from both of you and cant thank you both

mmoore5553 14-04-2006 12:55 PM

curious should i go ahead and convert to sub d or just keep it poly ? just wondering what the norm is ?

MattTheMan 14-04-2006 01:21 PM

i would keep it in polys, cuz i consider sub-d's a pain, but u do what you want

ericmattison81 14-04-2006 01:47 PM

its lookin goof mmoore. The geometry is looking good. Stick to polys

happymat27 14-04-2006 02:09 PM

That's starting to look much better, the very tip of the nose could do with a bit of a tweak and you already mentioned the mouth corner.

I agree with the others, stick with poly's for now. It's a good idea to get the hang of one modeling method before tackling another. As for what the norm is, I think it's down to personal preference.

Keep it up,

Mat.

mmoore5553 14-04-2006 02:45 PM

ericmattison81
Quote:

its lookin goof mmoore.
HAHHAH too funny. thanks on geometry.

happymat27- i dont know how to do the mouth better . Probably cause it has a cut out in the mouth . the nose ,i kept trying it and not working out. I will keep trying to work it out .
will keep you all posted and thanks in advanced for all help from everyone .

will keep it at polys for now

Jay 14-04-2006 06:09 PM

...i consider sub-d's a pain, ...

LOL, why? Back up your theory of why its a pain, because to somebody with perhaps less experience wont be none the wiser at the end of the day, give them the pros and cons...

mmoore5553

Keep it poly for the time being until you have blocked in the main geometry and shaped it as much as you feel you can. You can always switch to subds and go to poly mode (right click over model to show the poly cage) and work on that level or if you are comfy with that go to smooth proxy which is pretty similar but its all poly instead. Otherwise a good job so far, dont be scared to try and do different things in your own way, build it it as Kurt has done but see if you can add to it as well. You may surprise yourself

regards
Jay