Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   How to copy and reverse keys? (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33288)

3ddon 08-11-2009 11:12 PM

How to copy and reverse keys?

I'm animating a fan(switch on the fan,running,switch off)
for this I want to copy and reverse keys,which set at starting,because fan starting and ending animation is same.
Please help me guys.....
Thank you.

effacer 09-11-2009 02:36 AM

go to the keyed frame that you want to copy, then right click on it, copy then go to the desired frame, right click and paste it.. see! simple... :)

3ddon 09-11-2009 05:07 AM

here copying a set of keys is not a big matter,how to reverse them?

Joopson 09-11-2009 09:40 PM

Its a fan, it takes 2 keyframes. Why not just key it again?

Seems lazy to me

3ddon 10-11-2009 02:44 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Joopson
Its a fan, it takes 2 keyframes. Why not just key it again?

Seems lazy to me

I want the animation of a fan not with a constant speed from 1st frame to last......,I want the animation like when we switch ons it(slow),running(speed),switch off(slow).

Joopson 10-11-2009 03:06 AM

yeah, that would take 4 keyframes in total, for the whole animation.

3ddon 10-11-2009 03:53 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Joopson
yeah, that would take 4 keyframes in total, for the whole animation.
yeah,but that is my assignment,my faculty said that try as realistic as possible......
and here I want to know the concept "how to copy and reverse keys?"

stwert 10-11-2009 06:08 AM

I know in the graph editor it is possible to select a bunch of keyframes and scale them using the scale tool and the MMB. I wonder if you could scale right to a negative value? That would give you the reverse part and you can figure out how to copy a series of keys I'm sure.

3ddon 10-11-2009 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by stwert
I know in the graph editor it is possible to select a bunch of keyframes and scale them using the scale tool and the MMB. I wonder if you could scale right to a negative value? That would give you the reverse part and you can figure out how to copy a series of keys I'm sure.
thanks,but didn't catch you.......
please mention briefly with simple example,if possible with screenies......

effacer 10-11-2009 07:34 AM

1 Attachment(s)
u mean this kind of??
then copy all the keys, paste them after the last keyframe, then go to graph editor, select the pasted keys, move them to a little farther distance and scale them till they line up in reverse direction. then place them in desired frame gap.
downside is the gap duration maintainence..

3ddon 11-11-2009 03:20 PM

thank you guys,now I understood.......
but I'll try this in my institute......
later I'll ask you doubts......
Thanks again....

effacer 12-11-2009 03:52 AM

or try trax editor too... it's real easy!!

JPWestmas 07-01-2015 08:40 PM

Use the Dope Sheet

Copy and Paste Keys in the Timeline. Go to the Dope sheet and select the keys you want to reverse. Hit R for scale, a box will appear over the selected keys. Grab the right handle of the box and stretch the keys backwards to make the last key over lap the first key to reverse the keyed sequence.

artbun 27-09-2017 07:44 PM

Came across this post in 2017, and for future readers, wanted to suggest a useful resource: Autodesk's Bonus Tools.
They're in a free, downloadable package from Autodesk, and one of the included scripts provides a GUI for reversing animation keyframes without using a Dope Sheet, re-animating, or coping individual keys.
Maybe I was under a rock for a while, but just started using these and have been satisfied with the results.
Link is:
https://apps.autodesk.com/en/Detail/...50172702393827
Cheers.

artbybonnie 28-10-2017 06:45 PM

it is only available for a Mac?