Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   For anyone interested (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26061)

SilverBlood 30-04-2007 02:57 PM

For anyone interested

1 Attachment(s)
Hello all,

after i've been away for a couple of months. ( all kinds of problems, mostly financial) i'm looking into maya again. but it's not only maya i'm interested in, it's more that i want to create my own game. this might sounds like a ridiculous idea... since i can't model that good, but i'm trying real hard.

I've allready put together a concept for the game ( see the zip file) but now i'm looking for some people who are good with modeling/animating who just want to help.

And if there are any programmers around.... you're welcome as well.

30-04-2007 07:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
YouÕve got a good concept, donÕt get me wrong, but you need to wake up to reality! The game youÕre talking about making is a MMORPG! You donÕt just get up one morning and program the code, model everything, and then start playing. These things are pretty hard to make, especially for an Indie company, which you donÕt have!

When I was downloading the file I thought ÒSweet, I canÕt wait to see what kind of game this is.Ó Then I saw it was a MMORPG. Think about a better (and easier) genre to pick. Try something like a FPS, or an Action/Adventure game.

Also, you are thinking of making a MMORPG, which is going to take a lot of professional work. The document you have is VERY unprofessional. IÕll upload one that has almost all of the errors fixed, but thereÕs still some other ones in there.

Maybe if you pick another one I can help some.
:beer:

publicFunction 30-04-2007 08:14 PM

Jr. is correct. I worked on an MMORPG for 1 yr and it is now 1.5 years overdue. The job you are undertaking is no small task and would need a team of around 10 to 20 people who are willing to give up a fair bit of their free time, for free, to get your concept into a proper working project. I would say making a MOD would be easier and is what you should do for your first step into the games world. Making a game from scratch is a real headache.

Do an FPS MOD for Quake 4 or Half Life 2 or MOD out an RTS, think about what you want and what is achievable.

SilverBlood 01-05-2007 12:50 AM

Ok guys, thanks for the responses... but i think i put it wrong ( i know i did)

The thing i want to do is to have a couple ( maybe 2 or 3 ) people to help me create some sort of techdemo, to point out how fun the Reaction Time Fighting is, and it can really be fun.

and i allready found a couple of people who are willing to help programming, so now i need a couple of peeps who are willing to help some models and animate them, and as we progress we will see where we're going. it might fail miserably, but then know that it won't be the last time i try to make the game.

Don't get me wrong, it's not just a silly idea, it's a livehood dream, and i'm allways told that u should chase your dreams.

i've been playing games all my life ( most of the games i play are (MMO)RPG's ) and the reason i want to make my own game is because most RPG's don't have active gameplay, most of the time u hit a button and u wait till the opponent is dead. and that's what i want to change, i want to make gaming more interactive, and what nintendo is doing with the WII, which is physical activity, i want to make something that is mentally challenging, and not just cause it's never been done before ( not counting all those puzzle games) but simply cause i think it's something that can improve someones mental health.

it's not something that has to be finished in like 5 month... it's something i plan to work on for at least 5 years. if not even longer, i just want to make something that will change the way that people play games. a lot of people ( and i know it´s true, i had it for a while) play games to forget real life and step into a world of fantasy, where they can be anyone/anything the want to be, so why not train brains while doing it?

I know it's a lot to read, and if u read it all... i hope it convinces you, if not... i'll start myself and i'll keep asking for help untill i can model good enough to do it all by myself.

01-05-2007 01:05 AM

It is a cool idea, but you need a nice company to make something like this. I donÕt know if this is right, but I think that you have to buy servers once itÕs done (Since itÕs a MMORPG) and then you have to find some mods (Which you will most likely have to pay). I also donÕt think that most people are going to work 5 years on this without being paid.

How long have you been thinking (and I mean seriously thinking) about this?

Also, how long have you been working on it (Like drawing some concept art, making a script, etc.)?

SilverBlood 01-05-2007 01:23 AM

Thinking about creating a game.... about since i was 11, which is almost 9 years now, and actively doing something about it, and putting ideas from my head onto something others can read, not nearly long enough. and about drawing and writing scripts..... i've got one great disadvantage ( and i know.. u're really gonna laugh at me now) is that i'm not a creative spirit, once i saw something, i can make something almost identical, but when i need to make something up.... that's when i close up like a flower in reversed mode after seeing the song

01-05-2007 01:26 AM

But have you made any of the concept art or the script?

SilverBlood 01-05-2007 01:29 AM

i have made them, but only in my head.... and i just can't seem to create something from them

publicFunction 01-05-2007 02:28 AM

www.etherea-dg.com

This game has been ongoing for nearly 2.5 years and is no where near release and is at least a year behind schedule (original planned release was Q1 2007).

Also Seek legal advice, establish a company and register its name and get ur website up asap. Decide on the game engine and stick with it, the reason etherea has fallen beind is due to a game engine change 40% of the way through the initial development. This meant redoing every asset and every bit of script. TBH I would like Mikes opinion on it as he works in the industry.

Oh if you are project lead, expect a lot of problem solving and non of the fun of game creation. Get your concepts onto paper and out of your hair. get an online project diary, really the list is endless...

Good Luck, but please be aware that these projects tend to fail as people who aren't being paid, tend to leave and don't come back as their labours are not being rewarded.

01-05-2007 02:37 AM

R@nSiD said it pretty good.

Also, if people are going to work for you, theyÕre going to want to know you. Do you have a degree, if so, which major is it in, have you had any experience with game design, how much experience have you had in 3D, how much leadership experience do you have, how much knowledge do you have in the gaming industry, or better yet, in MMORPGÕs, etc.

BTW, I heard a quote once that went like this:
ÒJust because youÕve finished a book doesnÕt mean that you can make one.Ó (Just substitute book for video game)

There is too much truth in that quote.
:beer:

SilverBlood 01-05-2007 02:45 AM

and that's why i'm looking for more people who read the book, liked it at first, but it wasn't worth reading again, to help me create a new book that will be fun and different everytime u read it

01-05-2007 02:55 AM

That really didnÕt answer most of my questions.

j5ive 01-05-2007 03:11 AM

Give the guy a break Jr, it's better to have an goal than just aimlessly modelling. 18 months ago I knew jack all about this, I decided to help a few people evolve and create a game/tech demo which is now nearing completion and due to our persistance we are now affiliated with alienware and nvidia. It is true it's damn hard work, especially part time hours but hopefully it will take of for you. Good luck. :beer:

01-05-2007 03:38 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by j5ive
Give the guy a break Jr, it's better to have an goal than just aimlessly modelling. 18 months ago I knew jack all about this, I decided to help a few people evolve and create a game/tech demo which is now nearing completion and due to our persistance we are now affiliated with alienware and nvidia. It is true it's damn hard work, especially part time hours but hopefully it will take of for you. Good luck. :beer:
IÕm not meaning to be mad, I just donÕt want him to go out and think he can make a game from scratch.

Can you give us a link to the website of that game youÕre talking about?

The Architect 01-05-2007 06:58 AM

Its an intresting idea but your word document is kinda awkard to read. Theres a guide in the articles section of gamedev.net that deals with writing concepts/ideas/plans professionally. I would also take a look around gamedev.net, theres lots of interesting articles regarding chracter design and stuff.

Also, I would write a lot about the game 'universe'. Structure it like an encyclopedia so it can be used as reference at a later time to prevent things from getting too all over the place.