Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Maya - > Zbrush (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27070)

ColdWave 29-07-2007 08:56 PM

Maya - > Zbrush

Well i thnik there are many question about this point but i couldn't find ... so how i import Maya object into Zbrush :) sry for question it may be asked 100 times ...:blush:

gster123 29-07-2007 08:59 PM

Select the object in maya export it as an .obj file (if its not in the export settings enable it in the plug in manager)

Then in Zbrush open a new document and go to import, select the object and then its loaded as the tool

ColdWave 29-07-2007 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by gster123
Select the object in maya export it as an .obj file (if its not in the export settings enable it in the plug in manager)

Then in Zbrush open a new document and go to import, select the object and then its loaded as the tool

:beer: :beer:

mastone 29-07-2007 09:02 PM

i'm not an expert concerning zbrush, to be quite frankly i'm a complete moron, but i happen to know how to do this:attn:
You have to save your model as an OBJ. file(i think you can turn this on in the plugin manager)and open this file as a tool in Z-brush.

good luck:beer:

edit; there was somebody who knew the answer to, amazing:eek: LOL

ColdWave 29-07-2007 09:04 PM

And the other process when i finish my detail work in Zbrush .. ? Zbrush - > maya

p.s Not to ask 2 times :)

mastone 29-07-2007 09:08 PM

I think you can load the model as an OBJ. file and save it in maya as a maya file again

ColdWave 29-07-2007 09:08 PM

hmm i can't find .Obj exportation in Plug in :confused:

ColdWave 29-07-2007 09:10 PM

I found it

gster123 29-07-2007 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by mastone
I think you can load the model as an OBJ. file and save it in maya as a maya file again
You can but if your poly level is high then maya wont like it in the slightest!

Also when you import the object into maya, soften the normals, for some reason Zbrush hardens them, then again it might be the .obj converter.

If you get up to hundreds of thousand polys/millions than your going to haveto render out dispalcement maps form Zbrush and then apply them to the model in maya, I generally export the level 2 from Zbrush and render the maps form there.

Only problem is that Zbrush 3 dosent have the multi dispalcement exporter as yet, so your stuck to 16 bit tiffs. I have to open the model in Z2 and the render the maps to get 32 bit tif's that I then comvert to map files for mental ray.

If your going to use mental ray then you need to set up the approximation editor to control the displacement level, if your using software then you might need to up the tessalation attributes, theres lots of tutorials on how to go about it.

Oh you'll have to have uv mapped your model before going into Zbrush, if youve not its not a problem as you can switch the low poly model with fixed up uvs by saving a morph target of the origianl and importing the fixed one and then by switchin the morph target.

Hope it helps!

ColdWave 29-07-2007 09:48 PM

I really don't understand all but ... i have plenty of tuts on Zbrsuh . And im going to watch them ... =]:p

gster123 29-07-2007 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by ColdWave
I really don't understand all but ... i have plenty of tuts on Zbrsuh . And im going to watch them ... =]:p

Haha, dont worry, seems like a forign language till you get used to it, alphas, morph targets, projection masters etc etc!

ColdWave 29-07-2007 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by gster123
Haha, dont worry, seems like a forign language till you get used to it, alphas, morph targets, projection masters etc etc!
Yeah .... just wonder the half of the terms you used in the previous post : ))))) i will get used to them just need some practise and video time :beer:

Jay 30-07-2007 07:31 PM

I find that Maya is okay around the 150,000 poly mark for importing obj's.

Also can I just remark here: the original question with regard to getting a mesh into ZB is not a difficult task to find out for yourself in the first place. Its in the Zb help menu set plus the word import is in the tool menu...Im a real stickler for these types of questions because it clearly indicates the lack of enthusiasm to find out for yourself.

I think there was a thread with regard to this type of thing a while back. If its something totally unbeknown and alien fair enough because terminology can be diffferent in each package but the 'Import' command remains one of the most global of all in any of the software...

C'mon people engage brains!

Cheers
Jay