Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Maya in the Video Game industry book. (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10526)

mtmckinley 20-02-2004 01:59 PM

Maya in the Video Game industry book.

Hi, folks.

Just curious - what would be something you would like to see in a book about Maya and its use in the game industry?

kbrown 20-02-2004 04:57 PM

Your biography? :D

Kurt 20-02-2004 05:09 PM

haha i agree wiht KB muhahahaha.. I would really like to see a few things. I have the Maya interactive game book but if i think about i would like to see more on the below list=)

1) Cycles and how to animate them correctly for input into the engine and for the programers

2) Engine types what some can and cant do.

3) More modeling and texturing info.

dannyngan 20-02-2004 10:22 PM

Just a few ideas:

1. Overall production workflow, i.e. concept to model/texture to rig/animation to export.

2. Modeling considerations for realtime use: poly counts, detail levels, triangle stripping, object scale, clean transforms, etc.

3. Texturing issues for realtime applications, i.e. mipmapping, texture resolution, normal mapping, etc.

4. Rigging technical details: understanding transform spaces, importance of proper hierarchy setup (generally important but games are super picky about this), Can's and Can't Do's of rigging for games.

5. MEL scripting to aid in general production workflow.

Pony 21-02-2004 02:05 AM

I don't know jack about games but on getting in to them the first thing I wander about is :

Maybe the importance of understanding the game engine fully and how the data that is used for characters and levels affect playability and performance. Ei. Like some older engines are sensitive to how the geo is constructed, if I'm not mistaken ? Mike ?

Possibly, some ideas for how to test and evaluate the engine. Then set goals to utilize it to the max.

Thin again these things might be only more relevant to a Technical or Art Director. But normally a person works for them so it might be good to understand where there coming from ?

mtmckinley 21-02-2004 06:18 PM

heh, I'm beginning to wonder if perhaps my game industry experience is a little too brief to try to be an author on the topic. :nervous:

dragonfx 22-02-2004 10:10 AM

:) write it now with what you know or you will be outdated to do it tomorrow ;)

Tim_T 22-02-2004 11:06 AM

I'm really interested on how they set up a character for game animation as well as facial animation in games.

Darkware 22-02-2004 10:12 PM

Everyday workflow, what life is like for modelers, texturists, etc. How much "crunch-time" there is, time allowed for certain aspects of the game.

ragecgi 23-02-2004 12:00 AM

Sprites and particles for realtime.

or, "A funny thing happened to me on the way to the server:)"

R-Tillery 23-02-2004 12:12 AM

I’m glad you asked this question. I my self would like to know the many different ways to get Models from Maya into Games,, I my self use ActorX but would like to know how to use it better or a different program that works better.

dannyngan 23-02-2004 12:28 AM

Hehe, Mike, it looks like you opened a bit of a can o' worms here. Let me know if you want help on this. ;)

Sil-Valeor 23-02-2004 03:23 PM

I personally would like to see many things, but espeally how to use maya's Dynamics and othe special effects features for games. Which type of particles to use, how to use them,etc. also I would like to know more about animating. There are many other things, but these are the most important to me, since I don't have any idea how do make/use special effects for games using maya.

Pony 24-02-2004 04:47 AM

LOL, go mike go !!

mtmckinley 24-02-2004 04:55 AM

Well, I sent them an outline... just gotta wait and see what they think, I guess. :)