Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Kurts dog gone mad lol (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20502)

mmoore5553 06-03-2006 03:36 AM

Kurts dog gone mad lol

hey all,

just wanted to say i been on thread for awhile admiring everyones work and decided I should start mine. I am have not posted in WIP . I am working on Kurts famous dog. I am new to this and learning. I have run into a problem. i got the head and mouth done. But I cant shape it correctly. When i go to front view and look at vertixs . I shape one side and other doesnt shape. i watched video over and over . i dont see how he gets both sides done at same time . I know it has to be something simple but i am missing it ..Any help would be greatly appreciated. I can post pic but not sure how to show it ...

matthew

Falott 06-03-2006 05:20 PM

I didn´t see the tut. is it nurbs or poly? if it´s a polygon model just open the duplicate option box and check instance. keep in mind to scale the duped object in a minus direction, which flips it over to the other side. means if you want to flip your obj over the X-axis you have to put (-1) in X-axis in the option box.

if it is nurbs you will have to select both corresponding vertices on each side (opposite of each other), then move them together or scale to increase/decrease volume.

hope that helped.

mmoore5553 06-03-2006 06:09 PM

it is nurbs ...it is about ten mins in the first video. i have the upper head done and jaw. I have the vertix but still not working at all. I have watched it over and over

i can select one set of vertix but hold shift and try to select more and cant.

Thank god the tut was free ..i would losing my mind at this point. Noobie headaches

Falott 06-03-2006 07:31 PM

just sleep a night over this and you will see, solution comes next day when your mind is cleared again.

cheers!

mmoore5553 06-03-2006 08:33 PM

already slept and still nothing ... might trash everythign and start over .not sure yet if somethign i have done or not

Kurt 06-03-2006 08:37 PM

Post up a pick so i can have a look see..

mmoore5553 06-03-2006 08:42 PM

at work right now but when posting a pic. not sure what to post. I can pick vertixs on one side in the front view and try to get same ones on toher side to get proportion right and cant do it ...not sure what to post. i can get the ones i first side but ones on opposite side i cant ..I tried perspective view also and same issue.

I will post whatever you want ... wire with vertix ? i just cant see how to shape the head and jaw on the dog and get proportions

Falott 06-03-2006 09:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
hm. whenever I run into problems I usually create a new scene for experimenting. important is to keep it as simple as possible.

create a simple sphere and grab both vertices on opposite sides. when your geometry is flipped over the X- axis you can now translate them together in Y and Z. do not translate in X cause then you have nor mirrored geometry anymore. you can scale them up and down to have your verts moved along the X axis.

other thing you can do is cut your sphere in half by selecting the middle isoparms and click Edit Nurbs > Detach Surfaces. select your half geometry and open duplicate option box. check Instance and put (-1) into sclae axis you want to mirror your geometry. this creates a instance of your half sphere which behaves exactly like the original one just in a mirrored manner. this way you just need to select vertex on orig_sphere and the vert on the 2nd one moves with it.

but keep in mind if you want to attach them or do some specific operations like merge vertex, polyUnite (polygon modeling) which affects one side the instanced side usually vanishes and leaves blindnodes behind. thats cause it is no individual object, but an instanced one.

hope that helped you out a bit.

kind regards!

Falott 06-03-2006 09:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
instancing objects can also be offset and still react to thair original counterpart.

mmoore5553 07-03-2006 02:33 AM

okay here is the jaw. i try to select vertixs and cant get the other side ...specially making sure they are selected equal and both sides the same. I switch over to toher side but cant get it correct. even doing it on main head , same issues

mmoore5553 07-03-2006 02:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)
here is the pic

Coldfire 07-03-2006 06:13 AM

Are you clicking on each vertex or clicking and dragging to make a selection? If you put it on a side view and click+drag, than both sides should be selected, providing its symmetrical.

mmoore5553 07-03-2006 06:20 AM

i am dragging mouse and getting them . i will try side view .... also clicking on it do you just click and hold shift or how do you just select some of it ?

magicsy 07-03-2006 08:09 AM

if u select side view and drag the the box over the vertices they should be selected on the other side also...but sometimes they may not be lined up so this doesnt always work so u would go into persepctive view just to check. Just clicking on a vertex point wont select the others opposite only dragging the box will thenonce u have some selected to ADD to ure selcetion u will hold Shift. been careful not to resect already selected vertices as hold shift deselects them.

mmoore5553 07-03-2006 06:26 PM

man I must just be dumb or slow. i try to do that and scale and the proportions are all messed up ..gosh i must be dumb ...still trying though ...I just do one side and it looks horrible. Maybe picking wrong vertix and then other side same way . I go in side view it is hard to see what is adjusted .

also is there a way to select all of vertix on jaw. Lower jaw is not good in size at all. Any way to change overall size ? I am trying to select all vertixs but not succedding ...trying to hold shift and do it