Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Work In Progress (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   WIP - Lich King Gamecharacter (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35324)

TDW 21-03-2011 10:46 PM

WIP - Lich King Gamecharacter

4 Attachment(s)
Working on a gamecharacter for an old PC game. Base model was made in Blender poly by poly and is already rigged. Getting UVs done now and taking the model into ZBrush for detailing piece by piece. Besides making this a game character, I also plan on doing a nice large size render in Maya. Gotta learn Mental ray this way...hopefully!!! :)

TDW ;)

daverave 21-03-2011 10:55 PM

Nice model, just asking have you not over done the detail going into zbrush.......dave

TDW 21-03-2011 11:15 PM

Thx, I don't think it's overdone, in fact I just started with detailing, haven't done that much at all. Almost all game designers create their textures in ZBrush and Mudbox these days, it's a pretty common thing. I won't go much higher in detail for the game textures though, cause it often turn out rather pixelated ingame. The version I will use for render issues will have much more detailing, so I can make a nice displacement map of it for use in Maya.

TDW ;)

bullet1968 24-03-2011 12:40 PM

Mate! I dig the concept man...that is sweet, the only thing I would say is it needs a tad more volume, muscle wise...the legs are fine but the chest needs just a little more robust form to it..I know its skeletal but I think it looks small for the figure...but it is bloody sweet man!

cheers bullet

TDW 24-03-2011 04:28 PM

I see what you mean, but the more clutter I add to the skeleton, the less you see of the bones. I had some hard time to get that rip cage done and I don't wat to cover it up too much now. I was also thinking of maybe placing a pulsing heart inside the ripcage, which will be animated by morphs.

I'm not 100% convinced of how this skeleton turned out yet, maybe later I might want to change this and that, but for now I mainly want to get this char game ready. :)

TDW ;)

honestdom 24-03-2011 05:23 PM

hey cool, looks really great. i look forward to seeing a render.

bullet1968 24-03-2011 09:20 PM

I think I said it wrong TDW...LOL...I think its fine but I meant the top half of the ribs maybe scaled a bit up?? it seems skinny compared to the rest in perspective...a beating heart? nice...this reminds me of the Lichen from Feists novels....

TDW 25-03-2011 01:57 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Ah, got you, well I could do that, if it was a standalone artwork only, but I have to make it fit an ancient PC game rig, which doesn't comfort the character very well already. It would most likely result in clipping through the arm in game, maybe I can tweak it lateron, once I've tested it with the animations.

Polypainting the skull in ZBrush in order to find a design that suits the character. I'd go with something like this at the moment:

TDW ;)

tweetytunes 25-03-2011 07:35 AM

this is so why I`m currently learning Z-Brush - Loving it well done. But this deserves much more than being a old game model - Im glad your planning some other renders with this.

daverave 25-03-2011 08:34 AM

That looks nice............dave

TDW 29-03-2011 09:18 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Another update, showing the textures from ZBrush on the lowpoly model. It's just diffuse and glow map for the blueish stuff. Though it might be a nice idea to have some plasma/ lava showing through some cracks in the surface of the exoskeleton.

The textures still have some issues, gonna fix that now in Photoshop.

TDW;)

daverave 29-03-2011 09:25 PM

Hi TDW
Looking good but I think the teeth need a little work to white.........dave

TDW 29-03-2011 09:45 PM

Yeah, just threw on some noisy texture as a placeholder. Gotta make some better UVs and then add some unique details. I still got to texture the rest of the body, so teeth is kinda low priority at the moment. ;)

TDW;)

daverave 29-03-2011 10:03 PM

If you are having trouble with UVs try UVmaster in zbrush then tweek in you app.....dave

TDW 29-03-2011 10:22 PM

UV master sucks. Spend some hours with it, but couldn't produce any decent UVs. Maybe it's ok for very simple shapes, but on models with lot of clutter it fails utterly. I always do my UVs manually. I just chose quick unwrap for the teeth, so I got about 100 single UV isles now. Would make no sense to texture that. I'll make some clean UVs for one half of the teeth and then mirror the other half.

TDW;)