Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Previous Challenges (Archives) (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   June Challenge - BabyDuck - Normal (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6069)

BabyDuck 02-06-2003 11:41 AM

June Challenge - BabyDuck - Normal

1 Attachment(s)
i need some distance from my monster before starting to rig him, so i thought i enter this months challenge. i hope the rigging of something mechanical will be a bit easier than something organic. my "vehicle" is supposed to be a climbing thing. got a bit inspired by simon (is that his name?) in first tomb raider movie. the rules say nothing that the vehicle must be a transportation thing for humans, so i make it an autonome vehicle. here is a quick sketch of him. you can clearly see that drawing is not anything i am good in :D

the environment will be rough mountains including vertical and "overhead" walls whereever climbing is the only way to go.

adldesigner 02-06-2003 11:49 AM

Would be cooler if it could transport guys don´t you think?
If it doesn´t, it would be just like that Mech challenge I ran a while ago. :cool:

[EDIT]
ve·hi·cle
A device or structure for transporting persons or things; a conveyance: a space vehicle.
A self-propelled conveyance that runs on tires; a motor vehicle.

Kevin 02-06-2003 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by adldesigner
Would be cooler if it could transport guys don´t you think?
If it doesn´t, it would be just like that Mech challenge I ran a while ago. :cool:

[EDIT]
ve·hi·cle
A device or structure for transporting persons or things; a conveyance: a space vehicle.
A self-propelled conveyance that runs on tires; a motor vehicle.

adl - please read this thread

http://www.forum.simplymaya.com/show...?threadid=5337

:D LOL

adldesigner 02-06-2003 11:57 AM

LOL, You´re contaminating BabyDuck´s thread!
Besides, I wrote the d*mn thing.
(Or "adapted" it) :p

BabyDuck 02-06-2003 12:18 PM

oh hell, i will make it a transport thing - i just scale him up and put a cockpit in his head. cars are not allowed, right? so no motor vehicles. if i make a off-road truck, it is still just a car. and there is extreme situation where wheels and tires just are a no go. what happens to rubber tires if you go through lava?

mtmckinley 02-06-2003 12:39 PM

what was meant by "cars not allowed" was just doing a normal car and calling it an extreme vehicle. Your vehicle, of course, can have a motor. Also, make sure the environment you're designing for is evident.

BabyDuck 03-06-2003 11:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
well, i started with rigging something that does not exist. but i wanted to figure our how to do the hydaulics. the locator is the thing i can move around to extend the hydro thing and rotate the join below with it. having figured that out, i can start creating my model :)

btw, the movie is encoded with divx 5.0.5

BabyDuck 07-06-2003 09:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)
ok, i started with the real model now. and as it is a climber, i started with the hands. as he sometimes does not need to really grab, the fingers fold into the hand completely when not needed. out of the last part of the finger will come out another little legment with a hook thing. the hinges are not yet modeled, so the pieces seam to be not connected.

here is a wireframe of the subd

BabyDuck 07-06-2003 09:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)
it is a bit confusing from the shot there. the idea can be seen in this little animation. the top of the oval thing in the middle will be connected to the lower arm. and the fingers are to touch the ground or wall and grab.

divx 5.0.5 video:

LauriePriest 07-06-2003 11:28 AM

ahhhh, all makes sence when i saw video, very cool idea! love it!

ereitz 09-06-2003 07:01 PM

like it! nice motion - nice shapes

Axel 10-06-2003 12:06 PM

thru... nice shape and idea

BabyDuck 11-06-2003 11:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)
oh, i am slow. i wish i had more time on my hand. added a claw to the last finger. a few creases added as well and the fingers are now connected with hinges (bit hard to see in this picture).