Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Work In Progress (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Revolver (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25683)

kinddoggofwar 30-03-2007 08:21 AM

Revolver

I thought I would practice texturing, but I still didnt get the lighting down... Any help would be appreciated on making this revolver more realistic!

http://img510.imageshack.us/img510/8...volver1tz4.jpg
http://img510.imageshack.us/img510/1...volver2fj6.jpg
http://img240.imageshack.us/img240/6...volver3xq9.jpg

farbtopf 30-03-2007 09:47 AM

I am not an expert in texturing, but it seems to as if your metal is not reflecting an environment. (I might be wrong though)
If you want metal to look realistic it needs to reflect something. There are heaps of tutorials out on this topic.
Also the trigger seams to be too rigid, try to shape it a bit more. Not that I ever touched a gun, but I think usually they are shaped sort of ergonomically to suit your finger.

severinianthony 30-03-2007 09:52 AM

Bevel the edges of the metallic "case" and round out the handle a little more; that should move it away from looking square-ish ;)

mirek03 30-03-2007 02:29 PM

Im no expert either but the texture on the nickle seems wrong, looks white, as mentioned no reflections or highlights, ray tracing might help.., I suspect the lads here might try mental ray but and some sort of GI.

At least the wood needs some texturing like noise or a little grain. Needs to be dirty a little, looks so new it doesn't look real. Use the burn tool maybe in PS and give it some wear.

kinddoggofwar 31-03-2007 03:11 AM

Thanks alot for the help, but im sorry to say that this is now a useless post... Yesterday while I was in the process of making the adjustments to this revolver, my computer restarted itself. But I thought "Hey, atleast I save extremely often!" but little did I know it was cought in a loop of restarting itslef. So i had to call up microsoft, since it was windows that was screwing up, and microsoft said they couldnt do crap, (and this has happened over 5-6 times before) so I ended up getting a new hard drive which is not yet installed, so I am typing off my brothers computer. All my work so far is now gone, so ill just start over :/ thanks for the help though

farbtopf 31-03-2007 04:48 AM

ops, sorry to hear that. Maybe you can somehow get the data of your old hard drive though. If not, get your "musket" out;)

wasatch5_sparticus 31-03-2007 05:17 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by farbtopf
ops, sorry to hear that. Maybe you can somehow get the data of your old hard drive though. If not, get your "musket" out;)
Yeah, that's expensive, but worth it. Especially if you have a lot of old info on your old hard-drive, it would be worth getting. If you are looking at furthering your career into maya and graphic design type of stuff, I recommend getting a Mac. They're built to last, and have much better of running systems. Check it out.

Sparticus

petrol 31-03-2007 05:19 AM

If you have a new hard drive, get it whacked in and get windows installed. Then install your buggered OS hard drive as a slave, you should just then be able to see your old hard drive as extra storage. (I highly doubt that your hard drive has lost any data other than MS related.)

petrol 31-03-2007 05:24 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by wasatch5_sparticus
Yeah, that's expensive, but worth it. Especially if you have a lot of old info on your old hard-drive, it would be worth getting. If you are looking at furthering your career into maya and graphic design type of stuff, I recommend getting a Mac. They're built to last, and have much better of running systems. Check it out.

Sparticus

Dude, don't do that. People in the industry use Linux or Windows. Mac's are used in Graphic Design. But for no other reason than they look pretty and often come with nice monitors. I used to be a graphic designer, so i can say with experience that Macs suck. And you certainly dont need one to further your career in anything. The one thing that both the 2d and 3d industries have in common is that you'll need a decent portfolio over anything to be successful.

Sorry but I really hate when the Mac bandwagon goes around trying to convert people. :angery:

farbtopf 31-03-2007 07:58 AM

ok, quick before it happens, please please no more opinions about weather mac or pc is better, it's going to be a never ending discussiiiiiiiion without result.

petrol 31-03-2007 08:08 AM

No the result is always that PC is better.

:D hee hee

Ok I'm done.

mirek03 31-03-2007 11:05 AM

thats c...p, I have both. Im studying multi=media an they say.., the only reason one appears better than the other is because of 'aahhh, but its differant on MY computer.' (think about it)

they are all powerful enough to fly to the moon, more than any of us need.., good and bad?? I dont think so...

(I d go the Mac, does windows anyway and is not so dam loud))

petrol 31-03-2007 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by mirek03
thats c...p, I have both. Im studying multi=media an they say.., the only reason one appears better than the other is because of 'aahhh, but its differant on MY computer.' (think about it)

they are all powerful enough to fly to the moon, more than any of us need.., good and bad?? I dont think so...

(I d go the Mac, does windows anyway and is not so dam loud))

Hah, I was saying something about Mac bandwagon and converting.... With one hand you say it doesn't matter, on the other you say get a Mac.

I think secretly at night, Mac's turn themselves on and play sound files that say something like : "You are an empowered Mac buyer. Do not listen to the evil PC users. They will try to say bad things about me, they aren't true! Just sit on the fence, but at the last minute say - I'd rather have a Mac."

Seriously every Mac owner i've ever met tried to sell it to me. Go ahead, buy an overpriced Mac, I don't care really. But for the record, I wouldn't trust a Mac to stay running error free for more than a few hours let alone get me to the moon. :p

mirek03 31-03-2007 11:30 AM

im a 'they both good but a mac is better' sort of a guy

ggrrrrr!!!

i guess i say that for a reasonn that has nothing to d with maya, when I do sound recordings tha mac is quiet and does not interfere, but the PC is too loud and there is noise on the file and sonic noise from the acual sound of the computer.., thats probably the reason

:)

farbtopf 31-03-2007 06:54 PM

ohhhhh god nooooooo it has happened again aaarhg
:headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

personally I would just use my old shool calculator for everything. Never crashed never disappointed me.