Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Materials & Textures (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   texturing with uv snapshot (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4507)

cb8rwh 11-03-2003 12:52 AM

texturing with uv snapshot

ello,

right I have selected some polys of the leg - automatic mapped them. gone to texture editor and took a snapshot. gon into photoshop and altered it - do I flatten the image??

saved it as tga - how do I get it to show on the actual leg in the correct position?? the leg shows the whole texture including the white lines which defines the texture edges :((((

mtmckinley 11-03-2003 04:13 AM

you use the snapshot just as a guide... you don't want the lines visible in your final texture when you apply it to your model.

cb8rwh 11-03-2003 09:20 AM

cheers for that mtmckinley.

how do you actually apply it to the surface that it has been designed for - I had a look at your tutorial on your site but I am not sure exactly how to go about it - it seems to repeat on my surface.

mtmckinley 11-03-2003 05:10 PM

After working with your UV Snapshot images in your paint program, simply map the files to their coresponding attribute of your model's materials (most important one being Color, but, depending on your situation and what you're modeling, you'll more than likely want a bump map, specular map, etc.).

Nem 11-03-2003 06:12 PM

sometimes u do want your lines to be visible :) they can be useful when doin corners of a metal or sumthing, like a robot with worn out edges kinda thing

cb8rwh 11-03-2003 06:20 PM

cheers for the replies guys - much appreciated. Hopefully I can get the hang of this method of texturing cause it seems the most versatile (assuming I can actually create a decent texture in photoshop :) )

cb8rwh 11-03-2003 06:43 PM

it seems to be using the wrong projection? instead of using the PolyAutoProj1 - it is using a default planar projection :((

any ideas how I make it use the correct projection??

sorry with all these questions - new to this method

have downloaded the texturing the monster tuts so hopefully that will show me

mtmckinley 11-03-2003 07:10 PM

make sure you're only UV mapping groups of faces at a time... if you map the entire model, and then map it again, it overwrites the first one.

Kühl 11-03-2003 07:25 PM

Take a look at Mikes tutorial at www.mtmckinley.net about uv-mapping. For more cool mapping, download DannyUvTool at www.dannyngan.com. It will ease your uv-mapping in the future.

cb8rwh 11-03-2003 07:32 PM

heheh - i was adding the file texture as a projection!! doh!!! I think I might have it sussed.

thanks for your replies

I will have to try the mel scripts

cb8rwh 11-03-2003 09:22 PM

sorry, back again - I am trying to use the scripts from dannynygan's site

Supposing I am trying to colour 1 shape two diff colours (top and bottom) i select the bottom faces hit 'assignMaterial' then select the top faces and again hit 'assignMaterial' - it keeps on covering the whole object with the second material!!

if you can understand what I am getting at and have any ideas what I am doing wrong I would be very grateful

dannyngan 11-03-2003 09:45 PM

What kind of shape are you working with?

cb8rwh 11-03-2003 10:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
ello,

took a couple of screen grabs to show ya what I mean

cb8rwh 11-03-2003 10:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
whole foot covered with same material after 'assignMaterial' to top faces - this has been happening with maya for me before using these uvTools - so it ain't the tools.

cb8rwh 11-03-2003 10:22 PM

ello,

think I have it sorted - i was renaming the material just after I had created it. Guess I am not supposed to.