Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Work In Progress (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   combat class warship (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16089)

cung 28-03-2005 10:47 PM

combat class warship

Status
All done.
http://www.chris-ung.co.uk/videos/invasion.avi

if your interested.
DivX encoded.

cung 17-04-2005 12:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
modeling, texturing complete- just see how these things hold up when they get destroyed in combat... coming soon.

c&c welcome.

BMS 17-04-2005 12:43 PM

Man the texturing really did the trick. They look really good. What are you going to do with them . . . a scene or animation?

Cheers
Paul

cung 17-04-2005 09:03 PM

cheers :P

yeh i know the models are naff, but since the atmosphere will be dark in the cg footage its not important :) but they will be apart of an animation, they are the squad that will invade earth, as soon as they come out of hyperspace they will engage earth's defense systems (lots of dynamic effects here) 1 ship will vector of whilst the other 2 and mothership takes on the defenses and gets blown up , it will then cut to live video, where the ship that vectored of will begin killing people.

EDIT: Removed link to video- took up too much space on webserver.

cung 21-04-2005 06:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Lighting Test

first sequence in the footage.(not composited, ignore smoke over guys head)

2x spotlights (1 for ship, 1 for dynamic effects)
1x directional light
1x ambient light low intensity

In progress:
earth defenses vs orion fleet (45% complete)

Scrapped original idea due to footage space in live video:
Mothership now gets destroyed in the missle attack instead of meeting the combat leader during live video.

BMS 21-04-2005 08:02 PM

Looks Really good man. Does the ship need to be bigger?

cung 21-04-2005 10:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally posted by BMS
Looks Really good man. Does the ship need to be bigger?
thanks for your comment!
I didn't think of the size.. lol guess i was too busy with the dynamics - ive done it bigger and it looks better i think so cheer sfor spotting that! added abit of motion blur looks alright - just need to figure out why its sharping my shadow mask lol...

hopefully i'll have this shot done by sunday.

stickdude 21-04-2005 11:06 PM

dang... soo good.... ;)

cung 22-04-2005 10:37 AM

cheers dude.

ship test with dynamic effects *engines*
thrusters will be added soon.

http://www.chris-ung.co.uk/shipTest_1.avi
400kb.. roughly

Helder 05-10-2005 10:57 AM

Nice work man ;) the texture work is nice, i just feel it too dark and it´s hard to see modeling details..

Sen the movie, great ;)

Shadeblade 05-10-2005 06:25 PM

What program do you use to create movies like this? Can it be done with good old traditional Windows Movie Maker? Or some other software that I could not possibly afford in Grade 11?

gster123 05-10-2005 06:35 PM

I would have a guess at adobe After effects??

You could go the very very very long way round and use photoshop on every frame and put them together using Imagready

Ragecgi's got a superb free composing tutorial in the render layers sticky that might point you in the right direction

cung 10-10-2005 01:17 PM

heh i didn't expect this topic to be brought back anytime soon, well i made this project to experiment with visual effects and compoisiting.. also to test my texturing skills on a really badly modelled aircraft.

anyways the movie was created in after effects, its a very powerful tool which i recently learned... as you can see in the video (for those that watched it) the video footage was one entire clip, so to place the ship and effects behind the footage involved alot of masking and in some areas photoshop skills.
however i think theres better compositing software out there if you can afford it, i heard Shake was suppose to be quite good. adobe does offer a free 30day trial for after effects which you can download from their site.

movie maker is a very basic program for video editting and its not worth the trouble trying to work on it, considering it tends to crashes your comp once your project goes over 5gb.

i'm currently working on a new project titled:
1947: The Battle for Atlantis which takes place 2 years after world war 2. will be starting a WIP thread within the next month or two after I get the prelimary sketches and research done.

cung 10-10-2005 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Helder
Nice work man ;) the texture work is nice, i just feel it too dark and it´s hard to see modeling details..

Sen the movie, great ;)

:) i'm glad you liked it, not sure if you noticed but a few of the shots were really rushed, esp when the guy was blown up.. just slapped in an explosion and made him disappear... heh.. that was soo badly done.. guess i should correct that sometime in the future.

anyways yeh i agree that the texture is dark, honestly there was no modelling detail at all.. if you seen the actual model its quite appauling... its was my mates first model and i found it on his computer by luck... it was untextured and he didn't like it either....
but as i was looking at it i remembered something that my tutor told me "as a texture painter.. it is your job to produce something out of nothing regardless of how the model looks" and it was then that i decided to take up the project.. heh. i dont have the original model rendered but if i find it then il post it up so you can see. but basically it was just a load of shapes shoved into a single mesh.

gster123 10-10-2005 02:34 PM

Im trying to get my heads rounf after effects by doing some simple blue screening, finding it hard going though i've gotta admit. I really need to put some time into it but i'm cought up getting up to speed in maya which is probably going to take me ages!!!

I generally edit in avid, nice easy program to use!

They do a free version with the only restriction being thatyou can only export as a quicktime movie.

Can you repost your movie as I think the links gone down?

Cheers