Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Technical Issues (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Freezing when changing Viewports (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33266)

I-Iybrid 04-11-2009 12:20 AM

Freezing when changing Viewports

Randomly when changing views (from persp to side/front, and vice versa), Maya locks up. When I hit space to bring up the 4 different views, the viewport I was in last, goes blank. Then the next viewport I go into, as soon as I hit space to go into it, it goes blank. Then Maya freezes.

Im using an ATI Radeon video card, but Im not sure on the model number (currently at work, and have no internet at home). Has anyone else ever had this issue? Or is it that just Maya dosent like my card?

Gen 04-11-2009 12:39 AM

I know there are ATI supported cards but there are numerous accounts of Nvidia cards getting along better with Maya than ATIs. Maybe you need to update the drivers or it could be the card itself is going bad, when my old Geforce 7800 was keeling over, I had white outs and lock ups. You might want to check if the cooling is o.k and if there is dust pile up too.

NextDesign 04-11-2009 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by GecT
I know there are ATI supported cards but there are numerous accounts of Nvidia cards getting along better with Maya than ATIs.
Sorry, but I have to fight you on this one. At our studio, ANY of the 50+ models of Nvidia cards that we used to use, all had major issues with Maya. Even some of the old Quadros have problems.

ATI seems to have better support for OpenGL, which is the backbone of Maya as it was owned once by SGI. This also allows cross-platform compatibility.

Any ATI card that we have used greater than ~3800 have had no problems. I use a 4870 at work with absolutely no problems.

tweetytunes 04-11-2009 01:54 AM

I switched to an ATI card with maya once - never again - it was crap (and not cheap). Very slow and had major problems displaying textures but ran games like Doom and Quake 4 with no problems (thats how long it was)

Been using Nvidia now for 6 years no probs.

Any way to help with problem

Is the card dust free - if not clean it.

Is the card getting enuff power - check your rig - unplug any un-needed devices or buy bigger power supply

Do you have dual screens if so see if it works with one screen

Delete your pref (or remove them to some where else) and restart maya

Try the "power of 2 trick" fix (search it in this forum for it)

Go to display option in mayas and play with them - turning the "Baked view port texture" to fast help out my mate

Failing all that - Get a N-vidia card (or better)

Gen 04-11-2009 03:57 AM

If all that fails, then hopefully your warranty isn't up :x. I've personally have had better luck with Nvidia than ATI

Perfecto 04-11-2009 09:49 PM

Same...I don't ever recall having any issues with my nVidia cards and Maya.

I-Iybrid 04-11-2009 10:33 PM

Thanks for the help guys. The card is somewhat old (about 5-7 years or so). When I bought it brand new, there was no issues with it whatso ever. I was using a NVidia GeForce card, which Maya liked, but other games didnt. So I swapped it out for the ATI I had. Now I can play the games, but I have issues with Maya.

The card is clean, as I cleaned it before I put it in, and Im using only a single monitor. It dosent have its own fan, so Im sure its getting enough power (as nothing else is plugged into it or anything like that). I'll try those other methods mentioned, and see if it helps.

I-Iybrid 07-11-2009 06:16 PM

The ATI card Im using is a Radeon 9000 series card. I tried everything possible, and still had no luck. Im going to switch back to my NVidia FX5200. The only reason I switched to the ATI is because I think the S-Video out on the NVidia wasent working. I can get over that, though. :lol:

Thanks for the help guys.