Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Work In Progress (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   First Run of new Reel (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9786)

Kurt 12-01-2004 08:24 PM

First Run of new Reel

Well it been a long time in comming, but heres the first run of my new reel. All my good work from the last year. No music or sound yet wanted to get a little feed back before I went that far and im not the greatest compositor or sound guy YET.

http://www.kurt3d.com/demo.zip

Thanks
Kurt

Kevin 12-01-2004 08:26 PM

downloading mate ;)

Spyd03 12-01-2004 08:32 PM

Kurt!!! Excellent!!!! Very well done cuz!!!!

Kurt 12-01-2004 08:35 PM

Thanks Jay... still trying to find a nice sound track for overlay. I have the wav file for the lip sync.

Tim_T 12-01-2004 08:52 PM

Looks great Kurt, love the models. The animation of the little blue guy lifting the rock was great, I laughed outloud.

Tim

kbrown 12-01-2004 09:49 PM

Wow, you've been a busy guy dude. Lovely!

Elemenopee 12-01-2004 11:39 PM

i think the demo's title says it all... wowowowowow :)

There is 1 thing i think needs changing, when you do the turntable shots of your different models, slow it down and only have it spin all the way around once...i think the 2nd spin is kind of redundant and only put in since you have the model spinning so fast.

Other than that it was amazing, hope ya don't mind my lil crit

Kevin 12-01-2004 11:48 PM

nice mate, nice and clean and gives a good demonstration of your work, a nice audio track would be great.

a job well done kurt

Kurt 12-01-2004 11:56 PM

Elemenopee thanks i'll see if i can play wiht it a bit more.

Pony 13-01-2004 01:54 AM

great stuff kurt.. wonderfull skills. You have a lot of good models there.. Your showing you have a style, thats a bit rare.

sugestions..
when you go in to the 2d art, I would leave that title over layed a little longer.

and fade's from smooth shaded to wire on the turn tables.. would be a good added feature..

pretty great timeing also..

I'll give it thumbs UP !!

twisteddragon33 13-01-2004 09:38 AM

I thought it was sweet. But my only problem was one of the models in it. The demonesque creature with the wings, the wings have the same rips in the same spot on both wings... looks too symetrical. I know its the model and already done, but its incredibly noticable, especially while it spins.

Kurt 15-01-2004 01:56 AM

Well reworked the models.. man i sick of looking at it =) I think its going to be it=) Just have to find some nice music=)

http://www.kurt3d.com/2nddemo.zip

mtmckinley 15-01-2004 03:29 AM

My only experience is game studios, so that's the kind of look I'm going to take. Now, obviously, this is not a reel to get into the gaming industry with, so you can take what I say with a grain of salt. :) Also, with my OWN lack of ever getting a true reel together, I'm not exactly the epitome of knowledge when it comes to this stuff.

First of all, well done! You've managed to put together a nice compilation, and with the addition of a music score, it should be cool. You have a definite personal style that is evident in your modeling and sketching that is a hard thing to find.

Now, here's what I'd like to see... besides low-poly/game stuff. ;)

I'd really like to start seeing you branch a little when it comes to your modeling style. For example, take a look at your drawing. An example of your life drawing next to your cartoon/anime character pictures is quite a stark contrast in styles! I'd like to start seeing that same kind of style contrast in your 3D work.

Right now, I'd say the vast majority, if not all, of your 3D examples are in your very distinctive "Kurt Boutilier" style. Nothing necessarily wrong with that, but not all studios will want you to work with that kind of style for their projects. Having a personal style, like I said, is a hard thing to find, but can also be a hard thing to shed. Showing that you can not only do cartoony, but also gritty reality, and everything inbetween shows them that they can slap a drawing in front of you of anything in any style and get exactly what they want as a result.

Using a game example, if I can show that I can make not only Mario and Luigi, but also Lara Croft, and Solid Snake, and even a DOA girl or two (The styles.... not necessarily copies of the models), then I'm showing them MORE than just what's on the screen. I'm also showing what I can DO.

Basicly, what I'm saying, is I'd like to see the same kind of style and genre variety in your 3D work that you have in your 2D.

Hope you get what I mean. :)

Kurt 15-01-2004 04:34 AM

Thanks Mike for the crit..... i'll definatly try and change things up=) All that work on my reel is everything worth showing and have.... so i'll definatly change the style a bit with my new projects from now on.=)

Thanks bro

ragecgi 15-01-2004 05:03 AM

Loved it m8!!!

GREAT blends with the lipsync shot!

Also, I noticed in your 2d art section that you had an original drawing of the kid with the brown pointy hair, and the 3d model for it as well.

That shows good concept-to-model ability!

Good job bud!