Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Work In Progress (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Apache Tut, a different aproach (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17681)

AkeWest 01-08-2005 04:02 AM

Apache Tut, a different aproach

1 Attachment(s)
Hi all Maya fans!

After finishing the Mech Tut (see that thread) I went on with the Apache tutorial. I followed it 'by the letter' to part 18 or something. I also spend some hours on the web collecting pictures of the real one AH-64A. Studing this pictures I was'nt satisfied how my model turned out so far concerning the propotions. The cockpit is very characteristic for the Apache and is tricky to make with all the angles and bends and the curvature of the nose.
I will tell you guys that the first 18 parts of the tutorial with kbrowns excelent way to show tips,tricks and tools raised my selfconfidence that I 'dared' to go my own way, that is do it all over again but this time start modelling from the front in order to get more control of the forms.
I started with a couple of nurbs curve of the profile, converted them to polygons extruded edges from the first to the second and
worked my way backwards.
I'm pretty satisfied with the result so far, and like to share the developement with you through this thread.
I've kept the tail from the tut and will attache it as the last part.
So here comes the pictures.
pic1: I made the cage complete with angles and bends before the doors and windows (I'll make a new post for each picture)

AkeWest 01-08-2005 04:04 AM

pic2

1 Attachment(s)
another angle

AkeWest 01-08-2005 04:05 AM

pic3

1 Attachment(s)
doors and windows

AkeWest 01-08-2005 04:08 AM

pic4

1 Attachment(s)
the bend

AkeWest 01-08-2005 04:10 AM

pic5

1 Attachment(s)
How I did the rest of the body

AkeWest 01-08-2005 04:12 AM

pic6

1 Attachment(s)
reshaped the engines as well

AkeWest 01-08-2005 04:15 AM

pic7

1 Attachment(s)
this is how far I am, show you some different angles

AkeWest 01-08-2005 04:17 AM

pic8

1 Attachment(s)
angle2

AkeWest 01-08-2005 04:19 AM

pic9

1 Attachment(s)
angle3

AkeWest 01-08-2005 04:24 AM

pic10

1 Attachment(s)
this is the last one for now. I'll go on with the electronics in the nose.
See you guys

owmyi 03-08-2005 05:08 AM

I like the way you're taking this. Good practice doing it lots of different ways, too.

AkeWest 03-08-2005 05:09 PM

A comment to owmyi

Well owmyi. you can look at tutorial in two different ways (maby more)
First it could be the modern way to buy a plastic model and glue it together, put on some paint and you'll be satisfied, put it on the bookshelf collecting dust, and that's it.
Secondly, this is how I think of it, I use a tutorial as a guideline in order to develope my own fantasy and 'get the knack of it' so when I'ved 'glued' this one together I will feel confident that I can make a project of my own from scratch. ( thay is polys, when it comes to nurbs I'll probably need another tut(s)).
As kBrown stated in the first part of the Apache tutorial "this model is not so detailed but it's good enough for it's purpose", and he is right, Obviosly I've been doing a lot of tweaking and detailing thats's not part of the tutorial, For sure he could do the same, but instead of 33 parts he would probably wind up with 50,so I think this tutorial is perfect.
I'm working now on the nose part pretty detailed I thought that I could publish it tonight but I think I'll put on the night and daysight on the 'beercan' with the same technics as doing the doors and windows.
( for your information, english is not my native language so please forgive me of misspellings and other strange use of the english language)
It's a great tut, thanks kBrown.
See you guys

AkeWest 04-08-2005 07:41 PM

Nosepart

1 Attachment(s)
update

AkeWest 04-08-2005 07:49 PM

I can see, the bird said

1 Attachment(s)
It's time for me to go back to the tutorial after my little journy in the wilderness of polys. I think after all that I'll put on the tail now and try to adapt it to the new body. That and landing gear will be shown in the next update.
See you guys

hoefie 11-08-2005 12:10 PM

hey AkeWest

love what you are doing to the apache so far i am going to start te tutorial one of these days. i found a great link for some hi res apache foto,s maybe you can use them.

http://www.b-domke.de/AviationImages/Apache.html