Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Need help on motion path and cameras (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22050)

pandur 21-06-2006 03:26 PM

Need help on motion path and cameras

hi there,
i'm a pretty noob to maya, and i have to animate a short movie for university class.

My problem is:

I created a scenerie (a football game) and animated a camera following a curve (motion path). This lasts 75 frames, in the 76th frame i want to detach the camera from this curve and it should follow an onther curve.

big problem told short, i can't detach that damn camera in that particular frame. If i detach it, it is detached from the beginning. :(

Could anyone help me please?!?
Pandur

p.s: Sorry for my bad english, i'm from germany ;)

Falott 21-06-2006 03:39 PM

why don´t you combine both curves and create a long one?

skywola 21-06-2006 04:03 PM

Another possible solutions is, you could do one scene up to the point where you want to change the camera direction, then do another scene picking up where the other one left off.

I do this now and then just by making a duplicate copy of the scene in question, running the first copy of the scene up to the point I want the change to take place, then opening the second copied file and deleting all the animation used in the first scene with the camera in the start position of the new scene.

pandur 21-06-2006 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Falott
why don´t you combine both curves and create a long one?
Because i want a hard break between the two camera movements.

If i use one long curve, i have a smooth camera movement, and this would spoil most of the effect and speed. :)

@skywola:
hm, to be honest, i cant follow you. :D

I don't clearly understand how to do that in maya. :(

Btw: I'm running maya 6

skywola 21-06-2006 07:38 PM

Take your MAYA file that you are using, i.e., football01, and after you have done the first part of the animation, save it as football02. That way you have two files that are identical. Run the football02 animation to the point that you want to start the second shot, so the camera will be starting at the same place that the lst shot is ending, then remove all of the animation that was from the first shot by deleting it, then set up the second shot.

After that all you have o do is render each file out, then combine the renders, and you have what you need.

NeoStrider 21-06-2006 07:58 PM

or instead of doing all that extra work, you could just create a second camera. animate it how you want it. when it comes time to render, all you have to do is change which camera you want rendered and what frame range. oh and don't forget to add in a frame padding of 2 since you're going to be rendering into the hundreds. (in render globals)

pandur 22-06-2006 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by NeoStrider
or instead of doing all that extra work, you could just create a second camera. animate it how you want it. when it comes time to render, all you have to do is change which camera you want rendered and what frame range. oh and don't forget to add in a frame padding of 2 since you're going to be rendering into the hundreds. (in render globals)
Sounds good.
Problem here is, how do i do that.

Like i said, i'm a real n00b. :D

--

edit:
okay i did it, it worked!!
Thanks to all. :)

But i have an other question:

My scenerie is very large, and if i create a new poly it starts at the center of my Screen.

Is there any possibility to create it where my mousecursor is?

NeoStrider 22-06-2006 02:28 PM

well if you have an idea where you want it to be created, you can always enter that information into the channel box on the right.

for instance, if you create a nurbs sphere, the channel box will be focused on the sphere you just created. in the columns of translateX, translateY, and translateZ, enter the coordinates for where you want it to be, and that's where it'll move to.

hint: if you don't know the coordinates, click on an object around where you want it to appear and look at those translate numbers. then enter those same numbers (or thereabouts) into the translate inputs of your sphere, and *poof* it'll be there