Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Technical Issues (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Trouble opening files. (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35095)

brent_reel 10-02-2011 07:29 PM

Trouble opening files.

I was working on a model and i was figuring on going back and forth between my school computer and my home comp since my home one is alittle more beasty. but when i copied the project file into a usb and put it in the maya>projects when i tried to open it it gave me a error saying....

Errors have occurred while reading this scene that may result in data loss. Please check the Script editor for details

and the script editor says... something to complicated for me... so i was wondering if its something with usb drives, maybe because my home is a windows and school is a mac? idn but any help would be greatly appreciated =)

thanks all!

Gen 10-02-2011 10:33 PM

Might want to post what the script editor reads out, or post a screen (with your drive paths blurred if you're worried about privacy). Otherwise its, not much to go on at all.

stwert 10-02-2011 11:56 PM

What versions of Maya are you and the school using? If yours is an older one, try checking Ignore version in the open options.

bullet1968 11-02-2011 02:04 AM

If you saved as an ascii I dont think OS would be the prob, I agree with stwert...version clash? and I also agree with Genny...post a screen or editor details to help this along. (BTW Gen...just checked out some of your work...love it...oh and your last name is SO cool!!!)

cheers bullet

Gen 11-02-2011 05:42 AM

Lol thank you! But why is my last name so cool? :ninja:

bullet1968 11-02-2011 06:00 AM

Because its mine as well cousin over the pond xxx

brent_reel 11-02-2011 04:06 PM

Open error

2 Attachment(s)
Stwert - as far as i no they are the same same version, they should be the newest student version, 10 i think. but i would like to try that. im still very new to maya so if you could give me alittle map of were to go like window>some>this>that and what not that would be nice.

also like many suggested ill post some pics of the error and what was in the scrip editor.

Thanks for all the quick responses! my first post here and its looking like a great community!

Gen 11-02-2011 05:09 PM

@ Bullet - I had my suspicions :P

@ Brent - Yeah you're trying to open a Maya 2011 file in Maya 2010.

The "Ignore Version" checkbox is under File > Open Scene > option box.

brent_reel 11-02-2011 06:44 PM

alright thanks you guys! it was the opening version thing. so thanks GecT and stwert! i got it to come up but it still gives me the first error message? all my mesh and animation and stuff is there so should it all work ok? ish atleast =)

stwert 11-02-2011 07:33 PM

Yes, I think if everything appears to be present and functioning properly, it's safe to assume the "some data loss" is just a benign warning as a result of transferring to an older version. I have had it though where nothing showed up even with "ignore version" checked, so glad that it's working for you.