Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Technical Issues (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   PLEASE HELP!!! Maya setup (Apache tutorial) (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33023)

akeyo 05-09-2009 10:43 PM

PLEASE HELP!!! Maya setup (Apache tutorial)

I am very new to maya, i havent even purchased it yet i just got the trial today. I bought the apache tutorial to do it (well im not very new to 3d i have used lightwave for a year or so and 3ds max, also some 3d stuff with flash) so im at the art of the tutorial were he puts some stuff on the newly created shelf from the "edit polygon menu" i cant even find that menu!!!

I am on a mac using maya 2010 trial version

please help me, i searched every menu for these tools im missing:

Extrude face
Extrude edge
append to polygon tool
merge vertices

i think thats all the tools i cannot find any help much appreciated!!!

stwert 06-09-2009 12:08 AM

I think in the newer versions of maya things like extrude face and extrude edge have just been combined into a single command "extrude" under edit mesh, and it will either extrude edges or faces depending on what is selected.

I think "merge" works for vertices, but there is also a "merge vertex tool" which you can use interactively without selecting the vertices first.

I have the append to polygon tool under my edit mesh menu, but I am using 2009, so it may have changed?

Hope that helps.

akeyo 06-09-2009 12:37 AM

thanks! not to question what your saying but can anyone verifiy that this info is correct and assist me on finding the other tools :/ thanks in advance

akeyo 06-09-2009 02:15 AM

ok i figured out all the tools, i think...

But the script the reference plane script. i cant figure out were to put it!!!

I have tried my documents>maya>(no script folder here so i created one)

mac applications folder>autodesk>maya>maya.app>right click view package contents>scripts>(a copy in every folder there)

i dont know what else to do :/

stwert 06-09-2009 02:49 AM

I'm not sure how the tutorial has you use the script, but you can pretty much put scripts wherever. I have mine in documents > maya > scripts (as you've created).

In the script editor, (window > general editor > script editor) you can load scripts (file > load script or Ctrl - o ) and browse to your script directory.

Also in future, you may want to put questions like this in the Maya Basics & Newbie Forum ... as technical issues are more often hardware problems or installation questions or crashes, things like that. You'll probably have a better chance of people answering your questions quickly that way.

akeyo 06-09-2009 03:12 AM

its supposed to let me select an image to use as a reference

it has 4 fields front back top and side

you select one then it loads the image into maya

EDIT: I have figured it out i re added the script to the shelf and it is now working!