Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Aligning CV's (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6619)

ChiTao 01-07-2003 05:22 AM

Aligning CV's

Whats the easiest way to align a row of cv's, so the are all inline with one another? Please understand this is different than snapping to the grid. What I want is a series of cv's to become inlined with the first and the last cv in the selection.

ChiTao

mtmckinley 01-07-2003 05:31 AM

If you want a row of CVs to align with a specific point, there's an easy way to do it, but it takes a little getting used to.

Let's say for example, that the CV to align with is forward in the X direction and to the side in the Z direction.

Select your row of CVs to align. Press "W" for Move Tool. Hold "V" for Point Snap. Now, to align the selected CVs to the wanted X coordinate, with V still held down, Click and drag on the red X direction move tool handle and drag it to the desired CV to align with.

Make sure you are grabbing the X direction handle, and not the center handle for all 3 directions, or all your points will converge and snap to the point directly.

To align their Z coordinate to the desired CV, do the same thing. Hold "V" for point snap, click and drag the blue Z direction's move handle up to the desired CV.

Hope that was understandable.

ChiTao 01-07-2003 06:10 AM

Makes sense, will give ya a shout as It sounds like its going to take some practice!

:cool:

ChiTao

ChiTao 01-07-2003 06:18 AM

Okay... question two as it pertains to aligning cv's:

How do you align cv's that are not set on an axis... say if a curve has 5 cv's, I want to align cv's 2-4, with cv's 1 and 5 so I have my original starting and ending point.. and a straight line inbetween.

Ya see.. I have a surface that I am working and can't smooth out the surface do to small inconsistantcies in cv placement.

Maybe I am looking at this wrong, if there is a better way, or if I need to post an example of my problem... let me know.

ChiTao

mtmckinley 01-07-2003 06:35 AM

posting a picture might help.

ChiTao 01-07-2003 04:33 PM

Let's see if this helps. These are side and front views. I am working with a surface, that I would like to align a group of cv's to each other.

I did try your "v" key... and it doesn't seem to work on this surface, although it did work with a curve.

I am trying to smooth out the surface.

ChiTao 01-07-2003 05:21 PM

Well doesn't look like that worked out very well...

sorry I am having a hard time describing what turns out to be a simple problem....

If you are familiar with Adobe Illustrator, you can take any number of objects (in maya this would be my cv's) and align them either to the first selected object, or distribute them evenly between the first selected, and the last selected object.

I guess what I am trying to do is put my first, and last cv in the place I would like, and have all the cv's in between snap in line. Making a straight line between the first and the last cv.

Hope this makes sense...