Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   USB Maya dongal for real? (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11831)

slickrenderer 12-05-2004 08:50 PM

USB Maya dongle for real?

Small question. I ordered Maya6 but the dealer phoned me to clarify if I want with or without dongle.

He said that there is an USB dongal out now.

Is my dealer on crack? or have they really released an USB dongle?

****He is charging me $230 more for the dongle version. Should I get with or without?

I have a desktop and a laptop. I wan to run Maya on both at the same time. One for modeling one for rendering. I will be the sole user of Maya. I know I could always run a uhmm!! argh! version on one of the machines.

What say you?

roach105 12-05-2004 09:40 PM

Yes, There is a USB dongle now for windows only. I would recommend getting it. Just be careful not to loose it because it is tiny. Is he charging you 230 US ?

slickrenderer 12-05-2004 10:00 PM

$197 for the dongle + $60 for posting from USA so he says.
I am in Switzerland.

How much is it normally? Am I getting overcharged?

slickrenderer 12-05-2004 10:14 PM

For Maya he wants to charge 2100 Euro which is same as Alias Europe price.

Alias US charges$2100 which is 1765 Euro!!!

What the hell am I paying extra 350 Euro for???

Should I get some one from US to ship it to me? How much did you guys pay in Europe?

roach105 12-05-2004 11:13 PM

Hey bud, The price seems OK just make sure they are not double charging you on shipping. I have no info on how much a dongle is in Euros, sorry. Check if there is another reseller locally and ask him for a qote also. In regards to buying in the US. Can't happen you must purchase locally. Its the same issue in Canada. Good luck!

Alan 13-05-2004 08:23 AM

is there any advantage to the dongle? if not then why pay more for it?

You can install that copy of maya on both the workstation and the laptop with no problems (i think). I dont think there's a legal issue with doing that either.

Alan

train_ucl 13-05-2004 12:01 PM

Hi!

You can install but you can´t run it on both computers ... that´s what the whole licence is for ...

But you can render on both machines, with one licence only, just install maya on the secound computer and place a plain aw.dat in the FlexLM folder ... the batchrender will work, maya of course not ...

i wouldn´t buy maya in europe, i bought it myself over the alias-online store and saved a few hundred euros ...

slickrenderer 13-05-2004 09:51 PM

Ok here is the deal.

Alias Europe store - 2100 Euro + 55 Euro shipping
- Alias does not have pricing info. on dongle.

My dealer - 2078 Euro + 50 Euro Shipping
Plus 165 Euro if I want a dongle.

So I think I will order on Monday from my dealer.

Dongle is good as there is less headache when you change computer or buy a new one etc etc.
On the other hand if I loose the dongel I can't get replacment I will have to buy a new Maya. This I find sickening!!!

BTW phoned another dealer for second opinion on price. The guy wanted 2500Euro just for Maya6 :-) Punk ass Mother....r. did he think I don't have internet or something.

I just have to decide if I want with or without dongle. After I buy it I might run a urhmm!!! version anyway. Most people I know have legal Maya license but run urhmm!! version to have less hassle.
Which morally I don't find wrong as they paid for it.

roach105 13-05-2004 10:07 PM

hey slickrenderer, the dongle will save you future headaches. trust me. I see it all the time. Your dealer sounds alot more honest te the second guy you went to. Have you tired to buy online but you will not be able to purchase the dongle.

doodle 13-05-2004 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by slickrenderer
On the other hand if I loose the dongel I can't get replacment I will have to buy a new Maya.
I would base my choice on that alone.

slickrenderer 13-05-2004 11:01 PM

roach105 I keep hearing people saying not to buy dongle as it is for windows only ie. you can't run Maya on Mac or Linux later on.

When you buy Maya for PC you can't run it on Mac anyway so I don't understand the point. Am I missing something?

Does Alias allow cross upgrade from one platform to another?
Say I move to Apple in the future and I want to cross upgrade to Maya 9 on a Mac. If they do allow it a person with a dongle will get screwed???

z1mmnd14. Yep you are right there but I see roach105s point of view as well.

Is there a reason Alias does not advertise the dongle side too much?

train_ucl 14-05-2004 09:15 AM

with full maintenance cross upgrade is no problem ... (for free)

so i guess its without possible as well ... you might have to pay a few bugs (like relocation)

roach105 14-05-2004 10:24 AM

you cannot change platforms, so if you have maya complete on windows it will always be windows unless you purchase a new license. The maintenance thing will help you transfer OS but It comes with a fee. The only way to get things to work on different OS is using a floating license. But this is only good for a network.

In regards to people telling you not to but dongle because its only windows. When you purchase a license it gets encrypted to the machine you are installing so this would not help you anyways because you will be stuck with that one machine and no more. If the machines goes for a crap you will have to give alias a call for a new license. Hope this all makes sense because it can get a bit confusing.

train_ucl 14-05-2004 11:50 AM

i never met a apple so far ;) but can´t you just move over with the ethernet card ?

alais sent me allways all the cds, linux max and irix ....

with linux it shouln´t be a problem ...

ah just checked again: right, moving to different hardware (with Full Maintenance) is free, to different OS with a fee ;)

roach105 14-05-2004 12:19 PM

Most ether card now are integrated with the mother boards so you can not send it over to the MAC. The only thing I can think of is a USB ethernet card. I have never tried it but licensing uses the physical address of the cards and this can never change.