Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   problem.. (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12150)

Zamien 07-06-2004 02:01 PM

problem..

1 Attachment(s)
Hi!

can someone please help me?! im trying to make this logo in Maya.. so i've imported outlined curves from Illustrator into Maya to get the curves of the logo.. then lofted/planar the curves to get the surface.. so far so good=)

but this is where the problem starts.. now i'd like to make the corners rounded (1) and also bend the logo a bit (2) as i've tried to show on the attached image.. which is a front view of the logo..

Can anyone please tell me how to do this.. i've tried converting to polys and subd's.. but it didnt work out any good.. please help!

Alan 07-06-2004 02:53 PM

use a lattice to do the 2nd part. Or a non-linear bend (in the deform menu).

I'm not too good with nurbs so I'm not too sure about the rounded corners but I'm sure someone else will help you out.

:)
Alan

mtmckinley 07-06-2004 03:30 PM

you might want to try the beveling tools under the Surface menu for the rounded corners.

roach105 07-06-2004 03:41 PM

I would use the bevel tool. So instead of lofting or extruding. Select the original curve than under sufaces bevel. You can pick top bevel bottom or both.

NitroLiq 07-06-2004 03:49 PM

Save yourself some grief, and apply BevelPlus to your curves instead of lofting....this will create your surface and you can choose exactly the type of bevels you want on the edges (concave, convex, straight in/out, etc.)....it's perfect for what you're trying to do.

Zamien 07-06-2004 08:05 PM

ok thanks all of you.. i'll try that and see if i can get it to work=)

thanks!

Zamien 08-06-2004 02:25 PM

ok.. the bevel worked very nice for my rounded edges.. thanks!
but.. here's the next problem:o earlier i used "planar" to create the surface of the letters.. how do i do this know?

mtmckinley 08-06-2004 03:07 PM

I'd have to suggest converting to polygons... would be much easier.

DrRobotnik 08-06-2004 03:14 PM

You should be able to select the isopalm where you want the planar face to be and then just do as you would to make the planar surface.

Zamien 08-06-2004 04:40 PM

you mean just convert to polys then smooth it out?

Zamien 08-06-2004 04:45 PM

managed to planar the surface from the isoparms like you said:)
buuut..... (i'll never get this to work=) now the planar surface just is'nt keeping up with the curvature of the letters:( when i render i get like a seam where the isoparm i planared is.. and i know i managed to get rid of this before.. but i just can't remember how i did... the planar is set to cubic.. and i've tried increasing the isoparms in both U and V directions.. but nothing works?:(

roach105 08-06-2004 05:08 PM

select the planar surface and in the attribute editor crank up the tesselation od the U and V to about 4 or 5. to this to both obkects. The higher the number the longer the render. So only go as far as you need to. mtmckinley mentioned converting to polys. This may be a wise choice depending on what you are doing next with this.

You can just convert the beveled surface to poly and than select the inner edges and fill hole. Should work.

Zamien 08-06-2004 05:57 PM

humm.. went to the attribute editor, and under Tesselation i put the "U Divisions Factor" and the "V Divsions Factor" to 4.. and curvature tolerance to highest.. nothing changed=( then i checked the advanced box.. set ut to "per span # of isoparm" and turned the u & v up to 5... still nothing.. am i just stupid or have i missed something?=)

roach105 08-06-2004 06:20 PM

you will probably have to render to see the diff.

Zamien 08-06-2004 06:22 PM

yepp.. i did.. nothing changed:( :(