Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Illustrator eps? (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2428)

skyzeyez 30-11-2002 04:03 PM

Illustrator eps?

I thought Maya supported the eps file format. In fact I'm sure that it does as the icon is listed when I try to use the file node on a blinn. I'm trying to project a type onto a nurbs plane. When I attempt to load the eps (rgb style), I get a 'fail to import' return. Anyone know why I would be running into difficulty. Thanks.

mtmckinley 30-11-2002 04:34 PM

I've not tried to import an .eps for a texture. What you can do is import an Illustrator files' line work as curves in your scene.

skyzeyez 30-11-2002 05:17 PM

Thank you for responding MMcK,
How do I import as curves, though?

mtmckinley 30-11-2002 05:27 PM

I did so simply from File > Import

BulletProof 30-11-2002 06:39 PM

Illustrator

Don't use Illustrator EPS...Use .ai instead...save as version 8....that works...believe me !

b u l l e t

undseth 01-12-2002 02:34 AM

I have always wondered about he eps format.

Can someone tell me why this is so "pro".

I know there are some extra info embedded into an eps file, but what is the practical gain of this?

mtmckinley 01-12-2002 05:42 AM

It just lets you create curves in Illustrator. Some people find that easier.

BabyDuck 01-12-2002 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by undseth
I have always wondered about he eps format.

Can someone tell me why this is so "pro".

I know there are some extra info embedded into an eps file, but what is the practical gain of this?

the "e" in eps does not mean "embedded information", but "encapsulated postscript" and is basically not a complete page, but just a little piece of a page you can add as part of a full page. postscript is a programming language used for layouting. it is very similiar to pdf (in fact pdf was developed from postscript). the advantage of having a full programming language lets you create/use not only fonts (pixel or vector fonts) but also graphics primitves (lines, circles ... ). each letter in a (e)ps file is set at a absolute position (very very precisely) - as the position is determined by a programming language (postscript) you can add random fonts too, there not every A look like the next A. other advantage is that most better printers can interpret postscript directly, meaning you only send the postscript file to printer and no matter what printer you use the result is always the same.

Saiyan 01-12-2002 05:01 PM

I believe you have to create outlines in illustrator first...then save as an .eps file....then import that info into Maya:beer:

iron_tick 01-12-2002 05:23 PM

OK, I got to ask now... how are you guys doing that "quote" thing at the top of the page.

mtmckinley 01-12-2002 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by iron_tick
OK, I got to ask now... how are you guys doing that "quote" thing at the top of the page.
At the bottom right of a post, you should see options for both "Edit" and "Quote." :D

iron_tick 02-12-2002 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by mtmckinley
At the bottom right of a post, you should see options for both "Edit" and "Quote." :D
Oh i see thanks again...