Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   student to Maya (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15887)

DefJam2.0 14-03-2005 09:50 PM

student to Maya

Can somebody donate me some points? I'm a student in my school's 3D Animation & Modeling class, and my teacher said that if we are done with the lessons in the book, we can find a tutorial on the internet and model something or whatever. I came across this site when I searched on google, so I was wondering if anyone would give me a few points so I can download the tornado or rain tutorial. If there is a problem with it, thats aight, but It would be greatly appreciated if somebody could help me out. Or at least point me to some free tutorials on the internet besides the cartoon dog one.

thanks!

lisa_gonzalez 15-03-2005 09:20 AM

Look harder on the Internet....www.learning-maya.com is also a good resource.

LisaG

NextDesign 17-03-2005 09:06 PM

there is a free tornado tutorial at www.mtmckinley.net

cung 28-03-2005 11:48 AM

some of the materials you find online won't be adequate enough to teach you the techniques required.

I found that using the internet only teaches you so much, but it does leave big gaps which you have to figure out yourself, if you can afford it... you should consider the following video training dvd's:

- G nomon Workshop DVD Tutorials (why is that word filtered out?!)
- Digital Tutors DVD Tutorials

I too am a student learning, and these are the best materials i've come across, even better than the internet written tutorials, and the official learning maya books, prob be able to get cheaper versions of ebay.

SuperTrooper 29-03-2005 04:40 AM

cung, don't forget about the training DVDs here at Simply Maya.;) However, I must say that learning a powerful (and expensive) application like Maya takes more then just free internet tutorials. You need to be willing to invest money into learning if you're truly serious about it.

mhcannon 29-03-2005 05:05 AM

None of the commercially or freely available resources will make you master and they all leave some holes. Anyone writing a book, making an online tutorial, or created a CD/DVD has to make choices about what to include and exclude. You either have a page limit, a time limit, a size limit or a bandwith limit. To get more from these resources you'll have to combine them, picking up different things from each resource. Also, the more different resources you have the more exposure you get to different styles of conveying information. Some people are simply easier to understand than others. I am also a proponent of local and online user groups. These give access to real people, each with thier own strengths and weakness, but all able to contribute some knowledge. Besides, it's hard to ask a tutorial a question. Finally, as has already been stated, all of this is worthless if you're not willing to invest the time to progress and learn the material for yourself.

P.S. once you have learned enough, don't forget to pass it on to others who are on their way up. The smarter each individual is, the better the whole group is.

steps down... "okay who wants the soapbox next?"

cung 31-03-2005 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by SuperTrooper
cung, don't forget about the training DVDs here at Simply Maya.;) However, I must say that learning a powerful (and expensive) application like Maya takes more then just free internet tutorials. You need to be willing to invest money into learning if you're truly serious about it.
ye of course :P never forgetting the SM ones! :P but ive spent all my 50 or so points :(

and expanding on supertroopers point-
theres no shortcut in learning this application either, whilst your investing the money.. your also investing the time.... also may want to purchase a few stress balls... they will come in handy...... trust me.