Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Bad rotation (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2049)

adldesigner 11-11-2002 05:21 PM

Bad rotation

1 Attachment(s)
Hello, Guys

I´m having a bit of problem with the axis in some object I´ve been practicing Maya with. I figured if it´s going to keep happening I might as well see why it happens and how to fix it right?

In this image you can see I´ve got two parented polygons. At some early stage of modelling I changed their pivot points so I could rotate them at the correct point. I did this for both polys. After modelling the rest -not seen here- I discovered a bizzare behaviour when it came to rotating. For example, if you evaluate the first image, you´ll see that after rotating the X handle in the direction shown by the arrow, the figure moves in the correct direction Now notice the second one. When rotating the X handle in the direction shown by the arrow, the figure rotates ... in the oposite direction!

Is there any way of changing that? What causes this problem? How can I prevent it from happening?

Thanks guys!

-I just noticed, the fancy effect I made for the images is wrong in the second one, just follow the arrows direction and you´ll get the idea.-

dave_baer 14-11-2002 02:31 AM

Yeah, I too have had that problem. Check your axis handles and see if they are both pointing the the same direction. If not, that will surely be the problem. Theres a method for turning the axis handles so they point differently, but I forget how to do it at this time. Try freezing the transformations on both of the geometries as well. ( go to MODIFY / FREEZE TRANSFORMATIONS).

I'll inquire on how to turn the axis handles at school tomorrow.

:beer:

mtmckinley 14-11-2002 02:49 AM

if you select an object, go into component mode and click on the ? icon in the component selection masks section, an axis symbol will appear... you can select it and change the rotational axis direction.

Hope that helps! Otherwise, I agree that you probably just need to freeze transformations.

adldesigner 14-11-2002 03:14 AM

Thanks for replying guys!
Actually the Freeze Transformations was employed already and they did change the rotation though. (as It can be seen in the model I posted in the November Competition Thread) However as people who have downloaded the model can note, I forgot to actually check all the legs, and there still some legs doing the bad rotation.
However I didn´t know the procedure Mike just showed us. So thanks again for replying guys. I might even get there and fix the d*mn legs once and for all. :D
I would like to know though: What the hell does this Freeze Transformations procedure actually do? I mean, what does it freeze*? Is there any particular reason why it should be done? What cases should it be used in? I mean .. I don´t understand the thing.

*Now since I know there´s some sarcastic dudes like me around here, please remember: I do know it freezes transformation, but in what way? :p

mtmckinley 14-11-2002 03:18 AM

it simply reverts your channel box to its original settings without altering the position or shape of the object.

adldesigner 14-11-2002 03:19 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by mtmckinley
it simply reverts your channel box to its original settings without altering the position or shape of the object.
Brilliant. Couldn´t have gotten it better.
Thanks Mike.

-now that was quick.-

dave_baer 14-11-2002 05:45 AM

Yeah... what Mike said. :p

:beer: