Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   problem selecting faces (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31743)

lewis1607 16-01-2009 06:43 PM

problem selecting faces

Hi,

I wondered if anybody could help me with a problem of selecting faces. Suddenly I am only able to see a face selected if I am in the wireframe mode. If I am in the shaded mode it will not highlight the marked face even though it has been selected. I have tried to look through various settings and tried to reset them. I have also reset all settings to default mode without any luck and finally I have forced maya to reset to the original mode by shutting down the program and removing the prefs file within Maya. None of this has worked. Can anybody help?

mastone 16-01-2009 07:58 PM

Can you still select the object if not ,can you create and select another polygon object?
Because you could have (accidentilly) masked polygon surfaces or have your current object in a reference layer.
If none of this is the case it could be an hardwareproblem(card not powerful enough or broken) or maybe the wrong drivers which can cause some(minor) inconvinience.
Last thing you could try is that you first turn on polycount(under display and then it's called objectdetails i believe) and then when having faces selected drag over the object if you have selected anything it will show in the polycount(just look at the numbers, topleft in the viewport)so you can see if it's only a graphical glitch or more.
If it's the latter i think your f*cked and probably be better off reinstalling maya.
Good luck anyway:beer:

Gen 16-01-2009 11:33 PM

Screenshot please :)

99GsTurbo 17-01-2009 12:51 AM

ive had that problem before.....it ended up being i deleted the material from the object...i dunno how lol...maybe try reassigning it a mat..see if it works.

lewis1607 17-01-2009 07:28 PM

Selecting faces-no luck!

Thanks for all your replies. I have tried all of them and tried restarting Maya several replies but all ending with the same result. The faces are being selected as I can see with the polyface count but they are just not showing in shaded mode. Maybe mastone is right that I may have a hardware problem but I need to try and re-install Maya to see if that works.

99GsTurbo 17-01-2009 07:35 PM

send me your file.....
ejmattison@yahoo.com and ill see what I can do or even if i get the same problem

lewis1607 18-01-2009 12:40 PM

hi 99 GsTUrbo

It is happening on every file in Maya and even when i create new files it is still happening. So I know it has nothing to do with reselecting a mat. to the object. I am currently working from a laptop and I have discovered something else that my keyboard is not functioning 100%correct, it could be a problem with the computer.

99GsTurbo 18-01-2009 03:56 PM

if its happening to all your files...mastone could be correct with it being a hardware problem