Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   When two SM mods wield axes.... (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12129)

NitroLiq 05-06-2004 10:58 PM

When two SM mods wield axes....

...six stringed axes, that is. ;)

It was early this morning when bleary-eyed , I switched on IRC and fixed my morning coffee. kbrown buzzed me and asked the question that started it all: Wanna check out a blues track I made the other day?

I liked it and asked him to send me the backing track so I did my own take on it which he liked. Before long, I was adding vocals (reaching deep into the southern rock roots...hehe) and Mr. Brown added new solos, comping together the whole thing like a musical Frankenstein. It turned out halfway decent for a quickly done project....something we had talked about doing for awhile now. Throughout it, we figured how to do things right for next time. But for now, hope you guys enjoy a couple of your friendly, neighborhood SM mods getting down with the blues:

http://kbrown.wolfenstein.org/temp/k-nitro-blues3.mp3

Here's the rundown on who's doing what:

KB programmed the rhythm track (drums, bass, piano) and played rhythm gtr throughout...that's his solo gtr intro)

I'm doing all the singing, verse licks, slide and wah wah gtr work.

Verse 1
Solo 1 12-bars (me)
Verse 2
Solo 2 24 bars (kb)
Verse 3
solo 3 12bars (me...wahwah pedal fun)
solo 4 12bars (kb...whammy bar)
solo 5 ending (both of us)

Anyway, Hope you guys enjoy it. And yes, we know there were gtr tuning issues during some of it. ;)

cb8rwh 05-06-2004 11:12 PM

that's awesome!!! love it!!

like the bit at the end - like you are dualing - I assume it was planned but you both seem to soar and dive at the same time cool!!!!

I love listening to people whack off on the geetar

kbrown 05-06-2004 11:14 PM

hehe... was fun doing this :) thanks for jamming with me nitro :)

the end was meant to be a bit of a chaos and i think we succeeded :p

I-Iybrid 06-06-2004 04:42 AM

Kickass job guys! Im not a blues person at all, but this is awsome! :) Any chance of seeing the tab for it (rythm and lead)?

3Demon 06-06-2004 06:46 AM

lol, awesome stuff guys. :D

Kevin 06-06-2004 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by I-Iybrid
Any chance of seeing the tab for it (rythm and lead)?
lol I imagine not very likely..

I used to do tab for my guitar students and I guess they where both improvising over the track so the tab would take ages to write

kbrown 06-06-2004 12:06 PM

heh yeah, all improvising... couldn't even play exactly the same again... just learn the blues scale let the groove drive you :p

dragonfx 06-06-2004 01:33 PM

cool e-jam:)

writting it down would have its merit... but i believe theres a prize for whoever can accurately write down steve vai´s "alien water kiss"song.(i´ve seen some tries and are scary...;))

NitroLiq 07-06-2004 12:12 AM

Yeah. it's all improv....my playing was a quick one take. I tried some others where I figured out exactly what i wanted to play as far as the slide gtr parts go, but then the solos weren't that great to me. Since we were just doing this as a quick thing, we didn't get so carried away. KB had to recut some of his solos because the guitar tone from his POD didn't quite match. I spent more time on the vocal parts and getting them to sound halfway decent....if anyone doesn't recognize the lyrics, they're more or less "Statesboro Blues" from the Allman Bros.

Tabbing the solos....eh...no thanks. It's all just wanking around with typical blues and pentatonic minor riffs on my part. My background is more the 70's blues rock stuff but I did study a lot of Vai, Satriani, and Eric Johnson in the late 80's/early 90's...actually tabbed Vai's "Attitude Song" a looooong time ago. Theres a song he did (hard to find) called "western vacation" that I'd love to find the tab for (I think the now defunct magazine Guitar for the Practicing Musicians" had it in one of their back issues.

Anyway, glad to hear you guys enjoyed. KB and I had a blast doing it and will hopefully try something else in the future...maybe a different style this time so he can show of his metal chops...hahahaha. ;)

kbrown 07-06-2004 01:53 AM

You know, Pete... I'm still on the groove.... just came back from my friend's band doing a tribute to Black Sabbath... was just awesome to write off... We should come up with our own G3 :)

Maybe G^3 ;)

mumbojumbo_13 07-06-2004 12:09 PM

speaking of g3 i just watched the live in denver
--
was it my speakers or is yngwie's guitar soo much softer then satch's and vai?
pretty sick gig though

IAmThaGuvNa 09-06-2004 02:34 AM

:D haha Dude nice solo... I wish i cold go on like that. My solos consist of like 20 second bursts ;) Nice.

ransick 09-06-2004 06:40 AM

dudes.... you rock! It's so cool that we are all maya lovers and suddenly guitar players at the same time givin' eachother inspiration.... hey maybe a simplyguitar.com ? :P

enjoyed your guitarplay! listining to this I allmost grabed my guitar to play along :D but when I came to the end of the song I guessed that 2 guitarplayers was enough :P

Ultragames 10-06-2004 06:10 AM

I've done various transcriptions of music for Clarinet and Saxaphone, (Thats what i play. Sax kinda sorta, and the Clarinet realy good) I know. Im a totaly different type of 'band geek' than you guys. But i do love them blues. Jazz is better though.

NitroLiq 10-06-2004 01:33 PM

Why even say one is better than the other? Both are valid artforms.