Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   A quick Modelling question (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26680)

INOX 23-06-2007 03:53 AM

A quick Modelling question

I've looked and looked and can't find info on this, but I swear I remember doing it years ago when I was learning Maya . . .

I'm creating a model of an actual building (from photos and blue prints) for a client. I've got the basic structure, and now I'm adding detail like doors and windows. It's an older building, and the window wells and door frames have a unique shape, not just rectangles.

I seem to remember using one object to delete a chunk out of another object. I think that's gonna be the best way to do this, but I can't remember how and I'm looking and not seeing what I'm looking for in the help section.

Can I create an object and use that object to delete big chunks out of another object?

INOX 23-06-2007 04:00 AM

Do I need to combine the polygons, and then start deleting stuff? Or is there a way to position one polygon and use some tool so that if it were deleted, it would leave an impression of itself in the other object?

23-06-2007 04:31 AM

I think what youÕre looking for here is Booleans (I think itÕs Booleans>Difference to be exact).

happymat27 23-06-2007 04:44 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I think that you're thinking about booleans, see the attached image.

There are a couple of different boolean operations (combine, difference and intersection) and how they work depends on the order that you select the geometry. In the image I selected the sphere then the cylinder and hit bolean difference.

I hope that helps,

Mat.

INOX 23-06-2007 06:00 AM

That's exactly what I was looking for. Cheers!

INOX 23-06-2007 08:12 AM

Ah crap . . . any chance you can do something similar with Polygons rather than NURBS?

I've got two different projects where I've got polygonal models that I need to remove shaped chunks. But they're already polygons and I'd hate to start over and redo them using NURBS.

So am I out of luck or is there a way I can accomplish what you showed above, but with polygons?

23-06-2007 08:13 AM

IÕm pretty sure you can.

INOX 23-06-2007 08:17 AM

Heh . . . um . . . any idea how?

I'm not seeing anything similar in the polygons menu (I'm running 8.5) and Maya Help isn't helping at all.

Feeling real silly here. :headbang:

How would you do that with polygons?

23-06-2007 08:19 AM

Make sure youÕre under your Polygons menu, (the thing in the top right) and go to Mesh>Booleans.

INOX 23-06-2007 08:23 AM

You are saving my life and I feel like such a schmuck that I didn't see it there. :beer:

INOX 23-06-2007 08:29 AM

You're gonna kill me . . .

So what if I have a number of separate polygons, that I want to apply this boolean > difference to?

For example, a series of say 10 cylinders that you want to trim with another polygon?

I know it only does it with 2 polygons, so is there a way to group the 10 cylinders in such a way that it only considers it one? I've tried "group" and "parent" commands, and those aren't working.

Do I really have to do them each by hand?--one at a time?

23-06-2007 08:46 AM

IÕm kind of confused about what youÕre saying. Just test around and see! ThereÔs always cmd+z (ctrl+z on a PC) if you screw it up! Just remember to save after you do something big.
:beer:

happymat27 23-06-2007 09:44 AM

The image that I posted was made with polygons (mesh).

bobalie 23-06-2007 12:07 PM

If you don't want to have to do (as your example stated) 10 things, each by hand, you could always combine the 10, then use the boolean (object + 10 things(now combined) = new object)

If there are a lot of those kind of doorframes, then just duplicate, duplicate and duplicate some more.

If i've misunderstood the problem, or re-stated the obvious, then I am sorry. Hopefully I have been useful even in the slightest!,
Chris

INOX 24-06-2007 12:54 AM

Thanks, all. I know I wasn't very specific or articulate in some of what I was asking.

Everything you guys said has helped me solve the problem. Thanks!