Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Previous Challenges (Archives) (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Jan/Feb - Frayo - Norm (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10182)

frayo 03-02-2004 05:54 PM

Jan/Feb - Frayo - Noob

okay... :D this is it... i know its late but i wanna try myself on this. this is my character. he's called YAWA. i still want to improve him but i got to start now in order to make it on time. :)

Please guys...your comments and critizisms. :D

frayo 03-02-2004 05:55 PM

Background History:

His origins are unknown. one thing is certain though...he was a man before he turn into this creature that he is now. he is a very powerful creature. weapons are of no use to him. his monstrous strength and cunning agility can rip a man apart instantaneously. in intense situations...he shifts into this altered state of blood thristy beast on a killing frenzy. he's been known as Yawa.

frayo 03-02-2004 06:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
here's the sketch :)

mtmckinley 03-02-2004 06:10 PM

cool stuff, looking forward to it. :) Glad people are still entering!

Clod 03-02-2004 07:41 PM

Cool history, cool character

frayo 05-02-2004 07:19 PM

WIP

1 Attachment(s)
here's my progress...kinda slow. im still learning to model human figures...and i wanna do it right.

i'm planning to convert the polys to SubDs. do you guys think i have to many faces on my model? comments and suggestions pls. :D

twisteddragon33 05-02-2004 08:08 PM

looks like a good start so far but i hope your going to add more definition to those abs.

Pony 06-02-2004 12:27 AM

Looks like a great start, you can wory about the detailing latter. I love the concept sketch.

Its also very nice to see a lot of people using concepts and haveing some story behind what they are doing.

frayo 06-02-2004 05:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
thanks guys :D that's very encouraging.

i decided to re- modeled from the begining. this time i used SubDs. the back still needs some work and the arms going to the wrist.

But i have a big problem...my machine, it seems like its going to give up me already. :eek: its an old PIII. i was thinking there might be some other approach so that i can finish my model...i'm not certain what exactly. any suggestions guys..?:rolleyes:

anyway, here's what i've done so far...

mtmckinley 06-02-2004 05:24 PM

Lookin' good :)

Not sure what to tell you about your machine. Best thing I could suggest is to save smoothing the model until you're ready to render and make adjustments accordingly.

Alan 06-02-2004 05:28 PM

methinks someone may need to be pushed out of nooby land and into the normal competition ;)

The last render looks good, I think you could do with a little bit more definition where the peck meets the arm (the shoulder area I believe it's called!! ;))

Alan

twisteddragon33 06-02-2004 05:29 PM

Convert your model to poly using vertices so it diesnt subdevide. Then tweak it untill you get th desired shape. Then convert to subd when you need it smoother. Its a lot less harsh on the machin imo. I do it once and a while. But so far the guy looks good:)

frayo 06-02-2004 07:53 PM

mtmckinley:

yah dat could work too...thanks :)

Quote:

Originally posted by Pure_Morning
methinks someone may need to be pushed out of nooby land and into the normal competition ;)

Thanks Alan....
really? :D how do you qualify to be norm btw...?

twisteddragon33: thanks i'll try it.

mtmckinley 06-02-2004 10:10 PM

You're definitely on the right track to being bumped to Normal.

The only criteria is myself or Dave_Baer deciding that your entry is on track to competing with the other normal entries. Of course, on an aside, I'd like to just do away with the categorization, as I'd hate for people who don't get the "bump" treatment to feel inadequate...

spekkio 07-02-2004 03:19 AM

yeah he's definitely right on track alright!

frayo: it's looking great, can't wait to see it finished...btw, i doubt that you can't finish it within the deadline, with that kind of pace im sure you will.

Darth